Backup Aid No Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Chiefe9

Reaction score
Backup Aid No Sound Update

Took it to local Ford Dealer and ran system check. Technician was also surprised that the message center didn't say there was an problem/error. Anyway, ran the check and got code (C1742/Rear Sounder Circuit Failure) stating backup module is bad. Technician said once I install a replacement there should be no need to run another test to clear any codes. Hope he's right. Ha! Dealer want's $250 for module plus labor for approximately $578 total. Naturally, since I know it only takes approx 15 minutes to replace it I'm not going to do it. Currently looking for a new or used module for replacement.

OP
OP
C

Chiefe9

Reaction score
The Ford DTS code was correct. I had a bad backup module. Bought a used one off ebay that included the speaker. Hooked it up and the system now works. Just for "S&G" I ran an ohms check on the replacement speaker before installing and as expected it checked good. My only issue is that the speaker isn't as loud as I expected but I currently have it laying in the compartment; not mounted. Will finish installing today and see (hear) if that makes a difference. I don't think there are differences in speakers. It's nice to have it working.

bcurbox

Reaction score
thanks for follow up info, so far you are the only one who has let us know the final outcome (from post I have seen).

Bob B

Reaction score
My backup aid appears to be working properly other than no beeping sound out of the speaker. When I put the vehicle in reverse the message center says it is "on" and there is no indication of failure. When I run the setup check the message center says backup aid is "okay". To check each individual sensor I turned on the radio and put the vehicle in reverse. I then ran my hand over each sensor approximately 12" away and each one caused the radio to go silent as described should happen. Yet, there is no sound from the speaker. I removed the speaker and did an ohms check expecting to get a reading but the needle didn't move at any ohms setting. However, I'm not sure if that is a true indication the speaker is bad. I think the speaker might be bad but not sure since I can't find any description how to troubleshoot it. (The fuse [27] is good)

1. Is there a way to use a voltmeter to test the backup aid module for a signal to the speaker?

2. Are there any other tests a home mechanic to perform to determine what component has failed? Of course, my final option is to pay Ford dealership $70 to run DTC checks and then repair. Thank in advance for any suggestions/advice.

Bob B

Reaction score
Hi I have a defective speaker in my hand. On the back of the actual speaker (inside the black shroud) it has a manufacturer name (acoustec) and a value of 50 ohms. With an ohmmeter, it should read approximately that value. The speaker must be disconnected from the backup control box circuit by unplugging the speaker's cable. It looks like a thin transistor radio speaker, definitely not a piezo buzzer type unit. I have found replacements online via Ebay including from a Ford dealer. BTW there was no error code or any indication of a problem, just no beeping sound.
Hope this helps...

Last edited:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
See that @07navi there's hope yet for the back up beeper on your Hover round.
Get it fixed.
The thought of you mangling people in the grocery store horrifies me.