bad mpg, stumble at 40

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdavid13

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought my first expedition. It's an 06 with 122k. I noticed that I only get about 12mpg. My old suburban got 15-16. I put some injector cleaner in the gas with no changes. Is that normal? I also found out that right about 40 I get a stumble. If I let off the gas than it moves as normal, but it doesn't always happen.
No codes or lights on
I don't know about the plugs being changed but I heard they are a nightmare to change.
Any suggestions or places to look at or parts to replace?
Thanks

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Do you know the history or the previous owner of this truck? That would be your most essential first step, without knowing that it'll get far more complicated to narrow down the best possible reason, but 12 mpg is the norm for these trucks, I average far less than that myself, others see 13-14 but seems the average here is 10.5-13.5mpg combined driving

DanTheMan97

Reaction score
Sounds like what mine did not to long after buying it. Mine was at about 130k. I eventually paid to get them replaced & that fixed the problem. I think I paid $400 to have it done, wish I would've spent the extra $50 to have the Ford dealership do it as I had the issue come back and after replacing several other parts I realized the shop never tightened one of the damn plugs. I'd recommend spending the extra few dollars if you end up having it done.

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Change the plugs. Buy the Lisle tool for when you break one. They suck. Mine was stumbling at 124k(2008) and plugs + fuel injector cleaner fixed it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like what mine did not to long after buying it. Mine was at about 130k. I eventually paid to get them replaced & that fixed the problem. I think I paid $400 to have it done, wish I would've spent the extra $50 to have the Ford dealership do it as I had the issue come back and after replacing several other parts I realized the shop never tightened one of the damn plugs. I'd recommend spending the extra few dollars if you end up having it done.
$400 to change plugs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk