Bad sound coming from the engine!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tacsat117

Reaction score
My wife was driving so this is all I know about what happened. Does any have any idea what this sound means?

Thanks

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife was driving so this is all I know about what happened. Does any have any idea what this sound means?

Thanks

My buddy had a bad sound one morning too, on a 5.4, turned out a cat must have been sleeping in the belt area of the engine, luckily for the cat it happened very quickly and there wasnt time for suffereing :(

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score

Thanks

What sound?? Could use a bit more detail maybe?!

Have you or any of your neighbors lost a cat?? :eek:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I would say you may have ejected a sparkplug.........

Check all cops and see if they are where they are supposed to be.

OP
OP
Tacsat117

Tacsat117

Reaction score
It's at the shop now. I hope to see it on Monday. Is ejecting spark plugs as damaging as it sounds?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
It's at the shop now. I hope to see it on Monday. Is ejecting spark plugs as damaging as it sounds?

Ejected plug typically involves installing an insert to replace damaged threads in the head. May need new cop on that cylinder as well.

Common issue on 2v mod motors. Ford had low thread count on the spark plug bosses (3-4). Late in production they increased the thread count to 8.

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah that sound is definitely the piston pumping air out the plug hole. Like Tom said it is a common problem and therefore should be straight forward for the shop to fix. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Tacsat117

Tacsat117

Reaction score
You all hit it on the head. A spark plug on the passenger side was ejected. Ford is the only one around here with the kit to fix it. Around $550 plus two towing charges and I'm running till it happens again.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it happens again you can get the kit yourself. I have never had to do it on my truck but I don't think it is very hard.