Battery charge and recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The battery in my 2012 is not holding a charge. If I leave it parked for couple of days it dies and I need to put a charger on it. I installed a battery tender to keep the charge up while at home since I don't drive the Expy a lot but it still doesn't want to hold a charge. I took it to Advance for testing and they said the battery is good. I've done my own charge tests and parasitic drain tests. No identified draw over .5 amps after putting the car to sleep using FordTekMakULoco's procedure. Here's what I get after running three battery tests at home:

Testing with engine running (mimic's the Advance Auto test):
IMG_1200.jpeg

Test immediately after turning engine off:
IMG_1201.jpeg

Test after sitting for an hour:
IMG_1202.jpeg

Battery from Advance purchased Feb 2022:
IMG_1203.jpeg

The state of health immediately drops from 100% to 78% which leads me to think the battery's going bad. I've tested the alternator and the system's putting out 13.8v so that's good. I've charged it overnight with my 10a charger and I still get a "Good - Recharge" reading when I test it.

I'm taking a trip to FL in two weeks and don't want to get stranded with a bad battery. Any recommendations for replacement? I was leaning back to Advance for the prorated warranty but I'm thinking they kept the same bad Die Hard quality Sears was famous for in the 1970s!

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was leaning back to Advance for the prorated warranty but I'm thinking they kept the same bad Die Hard quality Sears was famous for in the 1970s!

The Advance batteries branded as Die Hard are the same Advance batteries as before with different branding. They even have the same model numbers. A decade ago I would get 5+ years out of them, but these days I get 3 years. They perform well for those 3 years though.

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Advance batteries branded as Die Hard are the same Advance batteries as before with different branding. They even have the same model numbers. A decade ago I would get 5+ years out of them, but these days I get 3 years. They perform well for those 3 years though.
Mine has lasted 18 months. That’s not good enough for me.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The battery in my 2012 is not holding a charge. If I leave it parked for couple of days it dies and I need to put a charger on it. I installed a battery tender to keep the charge up while at home since I don't drive the Expy a lot but it still doesn't want to hold a charge. I took it to Advance for testing and they said the battery is good. I've done my own charge tests and parasitic drain tests. No identified draw over .5 amps after putting the car to sleep using FordTekMakULoco's procedure. Here's what I get after running three battery tests at home:

Testing with engine running (mimic's the Advance Auto test):
View attachment 78921

Test immediately after turning engine off:
View attachment 78922

Test after sitting for an hour:
View attachment 78923

Battery from Advance purchased Feb 2022:
View attachment 78924

The state of health immediately drops from 100% to 78% which leads me to think the battery's going bad. I've tested the alternator and the system's putting out 13.8v so that's good. I've charged it overnight with my 10a charger and I still get a "Good - Recharge" reading when I test it.

I'm taking a trip to FL in two weeks and don't want to get stranded with a bad battery. Any recommendations for replacement? I was leaning back to Advance for the prorated warranty but I'm thinking they kept the same bad Die Hard quality Sears was famous for in the 1970s!

Buy an OEM Motorcraft battery and ensure your battery terminal connectors are clean (use a terminal cleaning brush).

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy an OEM Motorcraft battery and ensure your battery terminal connectors are clean (use a terminal cleaning brush).
Motorcraft batteries and Diehard batteries (and many, many other brands) are all manufactured by Clarios LLC (formerly Johnson Controls). Sometimes you just get a bad battery.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Motorcraft batteries and Diehard batteries (and many, many other brands) are all manufactured by Clarios LLC (formerly Johnson Controls). Sometimes you just get a bad battery.

Just because one company manufacturers multiple lines of batteries does not mean that they are all the same.

Companies manufacture components, including batteries, for vehicle manufacturers to a specific design, fit and function.

The Motorcraft batteries are manufactured to Ford and Lincoln’s OE specification. They also include a nationwide limited warranty.

Ryan L

Reaction score
Does the 2012 come with an AGM battery? I ask because my 2016 Expy has FLA, non-AGM. I assumed the charging profiles are different, so have replaced with FLA when mine have a subpar SOC.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had a 21 month 850 motorcraft battery fail. Inadvertantly left radar detector on, next time I went to use it - about a week. Completely dead, tried to jump NG disconnected and charged, would not hold charge. It had 3 year no cost swap out warranty, I took it to the dealer I purchased from they did their own testing and handed me a new battery.

99WhiteC5Corvette thinks a full discharge kills these new batteries and based on this experience, I agree. This is the 2nd ”premium” Motorcraft battery that has suddenly failed on me in the last 12 months, with the other being just under 3 years old.

Last edited:

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my battery 4 years ago (die hard gold) with a 5 year warranty, it just died, despite having a year to go, the warranty paid $32 (on a $200 battery!!). The autozone guy said they no longer offer the 5 year warranty as most of the batteries fail before 5 years!! I got a new one with the standard 3 year warranty.
Everything you show/describe makes me think you have a defective battery, 18 months is not long, I suspect it has a manufacturing defect inside (rather than failing due to the chemicals (lead and acid) getting to old and breaking down..

I know its a lot of money, but I would buy a new battery, if after a few days you don't see the issue with the new battery, then you have proof the old battery was defective an go beat up the shop you bought it from to refund the cost. If the new battery has the same symptoms, then try to return the new battery and get a full refund then find out what in the car is killing the battery!!
Alternatively, do you have a friend with a car that uses a similar battery? Swap batteries with them for a few days and see if you still have the same issue, or if your friend starts having an issue!!

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
No surprise the battery repeatedly dies.

0.5 amp parasitic draw will suck 85 amphours from the battery in a week. Which is more than the 68 amphours listed on the label of the battery in the photo.

The power outlets in the expedition are hot all the time so anything plugged in there ain't helping. Unless you unplug everything and find any other power draws a new battery won't last long either as this battery really only has about 50 useful amphours before it won't start the car. (Rule of thumb for useful amphours is RC/2.4 or in this case 120/2.4 = 50.)

-- Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire