Replaced battery and now camera not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdixon1029

Reaction score
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I couldn't find anything. I just replaced the battery and now the camera (that was working perfectly fine) will not display anything other than camera not available return to dealership. I've also noticed that when placing in reverse it takes a good bit longer for that screen to even display. I've gone through the settings and can't find anything that is out of the ordinary. I haven't taken the back panels off to examine yet. Just find it strange that it quits working immediately after the dead battery replacement. Any suggestions? TIA

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I couldn't find anything. I just replaced the battery and now the camera (that was working perfectly fine) will not display anything other than camera not available return to dealership. I've also noticed that when placing in reverse it takes a good bit longer for that screen to even display. I've gone through the settings and can't find anything that is out of the ordinary. I haven't taken the back panels off to examine yet. Just find it strange that it quits working immediately after the dead battery replacement. Any suggestions? TIA

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited, purchased new.

I have replaced the battery several times (and removed the battery terminal connectors several times for cleaning) and never had a problem with the rear-view camera malfunctioning following the work.

Recently the camera stopped working, and would display a message to contact my dealer (it was slow to show the message) when shifting into reverse. The Ford dealer replaced the camera under my Ford ESP, and that solved the issue.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm actually checking all connections etc now and all looks good. May have to put another camera in.
Certain model years have a known problem of a Molex connector inside the liftgate that sits more or less behind the license plate getting water on it and forming corrosion. My camera would freeze to a "red tinted" screen when backing at night. I used Deoxit and both sides of the connector and plugged / unplugged it many times as a way to clean the contacts. For final protection, I used Ford's XG-12 electrical grease on the contacts. It's always possible that the camera was fried from a surge, but not likely as long as the negative post was the last connection made to the new battery.

Ryan L

Reaction score
Replaced camera with OEM form the local dealer. Works fine, however the vertical guide lines that were there are gone.
Just went through this myself for my 2016 Limited. Forscan can bring them back with about 5 minutes of effort. Pretty straightforward, and does not require the paid license to do it.