Battery charge and recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reklaw

Reaction score
I had put an AGM battery in my Explorer and it died 6 months after the 3 year warranty expired. This was from Advance Auto and I don't remember it being an Die Hard battery back then. While the battery was good until it died, when I replaced it I decided the price wasn't worth it for the AGM. I did purchase a new deep cycle battery from batteries+ for my camper back in 2020 and that is holding up well so far so maybe check out batteries+ They might even do a test to give you a second opinion.

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replaced the AGM with a new Motorcraft Max flooded cell (regular) 850 CCA/1000CA battery manufactured 8/23. Initial test had 86% battery health and ~3 ohm resistance; both numbers are better than the AGM's 78% health and 4.5 ohm resistance.

Battery's not plugged into a tender to let it sit for 1-2 days before testing again. I'll post the results later this week.

Only accessory I have wired hot is a QuadLock wireless charging head that pulls 1.5a. I'm looking for a USB-3 hardwiring kit to move it to a switched circuit.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My new thinking is
A) don’t leave any devices plugged in when the vehicle is not running, even if they are turned off.

B) When the vehicle is not going to be used for any period of time - week or longer, keep it on a battery tender.

10 years ago, we only owned battery tenders for our seasonal vehicles, now we own one for every vehicle we have.

Last edited:

EngineerMike

Reaction score
Small looking parasitic draws kill a battery quickly. I have 2ea 950cca batteries in my motorhome and 1.6A parasitic draw puts them in trouble state in 3-5 days

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Testing it now, even with the charger plugged in and working its only pulling .25a on my clamp meter. Waiting an hour for the truck to go to sleep then will test it again.

Either way, I'm still going to wire it to a switched circuit for peace of mind.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
its only pulling .25a

:) "Only" 42 amp hours/week on a battery with probably only 50 useful amphours available is better. Don't forget the radio memory and remote locking systems are pulling current 24/7 as well.

Ford not switching the outlets with the ignition is criminal as far as I'm concerned.

Years ago a girl friend (not the Girl Friend) had a battery problem similar to this. Turned out the light in her car trunk was on all the time.

-- Chuck

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took a one year old Diehard back that I bought from Advance Auto because it wasn't holding a charge. It was out of the vehicle. They tested the battery, said it was good, just needed recharging. I tried to explain to the tattooed lady that I had charged it out of the vehicle 3 days prior. She wasn't having any of that. Good Battery she said. I took it down the road to O'Reilleys. They tested it. Bad battery. AA just didn't want to honor the warranty. Lost my business for eternity. BTW, it wasn't the Expedition battery. Different vehicle.

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just tested it after the truck's gone to sleep, consistent .07-.09a draw. Placed phone on the charging head, jumped to .12a, dropped back down after phone was removed.

Going to let it sit until Wednesday since I have another car to drive, will test it again then.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just because one company manufacturers multiple lines of batteries does not mean that they are all the same.

Companies manufacture components, including batteries, for vehicle manufacturers to a specific design, fit and function.

The Motorcraft batteries are manufactured to Ford and Lincoln’s OE specification. They also include a nationwide limited warranty.

It's a group 65 battery. There isn't some special recipe for Ford. Either way, both the Motorcraft BXT Tested Tough MAX and Advance Auto DieHard Gold have a 3-year warranty. Ford will give you a nightmare of a time trying to get a replacement just like they do with 95% of the warranty repairs that walk through the door. Advance will replace it straight away, no hassle. I've been down the replacement road with each of them several times.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire