Battery charge and recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
No surprise the battery repeatedly dies.

0.5 amp parasitic draw will suck 85 amphours from the battery in a week. Which is more than the 68 amphours listed on the label of the battery in the photo.

The power outlets in the expedition are hot all the time so anything plugged in there ain't helping. Unless you unplug everything and find any other power draws a new battery won't last long either as this battery really only has about 50 useful amphours before it won't start the car. (Rule of thumb for useful amphours is RC/2.4 or in this case 120/2.4 = 50.)

-- Chuck
Chuck: I refer to your statement that the power outlets being hot all the time. I just tried to use the dash outlet on my 2019 Platinum to plug in a Solar trickle charger to maintain the battery as my vehicle parks for days on end when I am up in my cabin in the woods. It appears that the plug automatically de-powers after about 7-8 minutes and can not be used for that purpose. Do all the plugs depower? I am not versed in electrical issues. Any Input? Thanks

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Little solar cells will work in my Expeditions. :)

In my personal experience ALL the outlets in both my 2007 and 2017 Expeditions (both Gen 3) left the power plugs hot 100% of the time. Things like the dome lights depowered after a while but not the 12vDC power outlets. Because of this and other mystery electrical loads I fitted a device to my 2007 called Priority Start to preserve the battery.

-- Chuck

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use AGM batteries because I hate leaky batteries, it's usually the first thing I do on any vehicle I purchase. AutoZone and Sam's have been good, but 1 deep discharge will kill them. On my RV there is a switch to turn on the radio, but instead of the chassis batteries it's still the cab battery, so it's not being charged by the shore power. I've lost 2 batteries by this switch being turned on, I'm going to rewire it this winter. Just note for AutoZone, the warranty is 3 years full replacement, but you only get one claim per purchase. So if you kill the battery a second time you gotta buy a new one.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2019 Motorcraft battery died yesterday. Dropped in an 850cca Walmart Everstart for $140. Have used these over the years.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
No surprise the battery repeatedly dies.

0.5 amp parasitic draw will suck 85 amphours from the battery in a week. Which is more than the 68 amphours listed on the label of the battery in the photo.

The power outlets in the expedition are hot all the time so anything plugged in there ain't helping. Unless you unplug everything and find any other power draws a new battery won't last long either as this battery really only has about 50 useful amphours before it won't start the car. (Rule of thumb for useful amphours is RC/2.4 or in this case 120/2.4 = 50.)

-- Chuck
Chuck: I take issue with your statement that the power outlets are hot all the time. In my 2019 Platinum they de-power after about 8-10 minutes. I don't know if pre 2019 Vehicle outlets stay hot

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get mad at my newer vehicles when the outlets time out

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member