before I even get my product started...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
before I even get my project started...

Hi all! New member New-to-me 1999 expedition 4.6 4x4.

the truck is getting a brand new modded engine, little things, bored .20 over, better cam, upgraded wires, E-3 plugs, synthetic fluids, for a little extra punch.
I was curious in running through my project ideas to see if there are any inherant problems anyone may foresee. or advice that can be given.

here we go.
2/3 suspension lift with torsion cranks and spring spacers
3 inch BL
gap guards
paint all visible under carriage areas (like wheel wells, the part of the frame that become visible) black to match the body color.
KMC wheels xd797 SPY 17x9
(LINK http://customwheel.com/custom_wheels/product_info.php/products_id/23739)

Nitto Dune grappler DT 315/70/17 tires
(LINK http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...o?pc=40367&typ=Truck/SUV&tmn=Dune+Grappler+DT)

I think I may install a router with an antennae booster for my laptop.
Try the GOTTS MOD with a K&N drop in.
Find a CUSTOM programmer/tuner.
Go with a decent drilled/slotted rotor front and rear with ceramic pads.
A new grille with 2 6'' lights built in the front (similar to the new mustangs, with blue bulbs in place of stock.)
Black gauge faces that glow white when turned on.
Super bright white LED interior lights with a few extra lights for fun (like wired into the center console, or under the dash to illuminate the foot area under the dash.)
Wire in aftermarket 110v outlets.
Gps/dvd double din head unit.
Maybe try to mod the rear door skins to accept 10'' subs.
New black projector headlights with the CCFL HALO and 10,000K HI/LO bulb conversion.
New HALO fogs with blue lights.
The old tried and true Ventvisors.
LED taillights.
Custom exhaust (only have it figured out that I want dual pipes, no word yet if I want a true dual exhaust, if I do then I will also change to Headers, if the new engine doesn't come with them already.)
run a longer shock for better ride quality. like a Rancho.
Anti roll/sway bars front and rear to keep my planted on the street, or trail.
I also want to try custom painting all my gauge needles just for fun.
also the ONLY chrome trim on the truck will be on the bumpers, the rest, i.e. the grill and chrome around the headlight, will get a shadow paint to make it all look like Pricey "Black Chrome."
It will be fully De-badged.
Might tint the windows a smidge, like 35%.
Throttle body spacer.
Bigger diameter throttle body.
Electric cooling fans.
If I can find a STEAL-OF-A-DEAL on a hood like a few of other members, I'de like to have one.
Smoke the LED tails and third brake light
Remove the running boards and replace with single steps for each door (also black.)
Take some of the interior pieces and make them jet black.
Add a tear-drop light to the drivers A-pillar. (black)
Run some dynamat.
Air horn
Viper remote start/alarm
And finally paint some of the parts under the hood jet black, to dress it up a little.

That covers my ideas for now, although I can't help but think I've forgotten a few things, but that's ok I have lots more ideas on things I want to try out

So what do you think? I know it seems like a lot of stuff, but spaced out properly shouldn't take long at all to complete. I have most of the knowledge I need to complete the projects, now it's a matter of finding those "just right" deal

Last edited:

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow, lots of modding. keep us posted with pics. you go to sandlake a lot? i only ask cuz you are getting dune grapplers...

OP
OP
D

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
pictures will start the day I take delivery on the truck.

and you're right Crewman, that is a lot of modding, and I hope it's a lot of fun to complete.
as for the sandlake....sometimes, I have a little piece of property up north and its only about 20 miles from the dunes and powerlines. So I figured since that is where I will be doing most of my off-roading I should pick something with an agressive enough tread to handle the mud, sand, have good highway manners, and look cool. I think I found a pretty good compromise on the three.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not bad choice for tires then. i am from up north that way. cadillac/big rapids area. stationed out here in san diego. so if you are modding the motor, why not drop a lightning engine in there instead? there is a guy on one of my other forums that did it to his f150 (he's currently selling the truck now) and he loves it. just a thought.

fiveohpoepoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a big list and a big budget. Im in for progress

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good list of ideas but for tires look into the Procomp Extreme ATs... thats what I am running and they are by far the best street/pay tire I have ever run

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if your going to go to the dunes those dune grapplers are excellent. i might get me a set when i go to the dunes. great street tires and the tread is so great you can pretty much run in the dunes with out airing down. its that good. but i still recommend it. and those pro comp Xats are great too but i saw a truck down my street had bfgs then went to the Xats then back to bfg cause his Xats didnt last more then a year.
but please post pics of your process.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine X Ats have been on for almost 2 years and barley any wear noticable and I drive it every day... 12K a year at a minimum and they come with a 40K mile warranty

OP
OP
D

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, I'm so happy everyone seems to be as excited as I am for this truck.

I decided on a modded 4.6 so that the shop I'm buying the truck from wouldn't have to go through the trouble of wiring a new Harness and replacing the computer, etc. etc. the truck needed a new motor before I buy it.
The best deal I could make for myself was to have them mod it for me, The guy building it has been into modding ford engines for a bunch of years an they all come with great warranties. and this is the best part, we worked out the price with a used 4.6 and agreed that I would pay $5500 for the truck (I know that's high, but the truck is super clean and even for a Michigan truck is totally rust free.) turns out after our "Cash for Clunkers" fiasco here, there are no more used 4.6 engines.
So I get a BRAND NEW ONE!!! and the dude will build it from scratch. not a bad trade off. the price difference??? a big fat 300$ for a total purchase price on the vehicle of $5800 with only 58,000 miles and there should be no problems at all. however I am getting a bumper to bumper warranty. just in case.

Believe it or not, the Procomp Extremes and a Mickey Thompson caught my eye first, but for the price, the look, and the performance I was after, the Nitto was for me.

and Crewmen, Our property is in Lewiston Mi, 75 exit 202 then another 45 minute ride through Rose City. any hunter from here knows EXACTLY where that is. as being from a little east and south I'm sure you are too. can you say Ma Deeter's?

I am waiting for them to pull the old motor an get the new one installed, fix any other problem that are found, then I can go pick it up.

here are the parts I have given them to put in so far. the E-3 plugs, the Ventvisors, and the K&N drop in. Boy's, I am off and running.

Last edited: