Best 18" tires for snowy weather traction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have an 09 EB expy. It currently has a set of bf Goodrich rugged terrain t/a tires. We got our first accumulating snow tonight and this thing won't stop or turn. Tires look to have plenty of tread left, but something seems wrong.

I think stock size is 255/70/18 is there a preferred tire or alternate size tire available without buying new wheels to get me much better winter traction?

Thanks,
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Save money - check out general artimaxx arctic. They work VERY well on my ex's f150.

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I forgot to add that I'd prefer to run one set of tires year round. Had a crown Vic for the last 10 years and swapped tires every year and I'm just sick of doing it. I'm pretty sure the blizzaks won't survive the warm months very well, unsure on the generals. I really don't care to spend the extra money it takes to buy a Michelin tire either. Prefer outline white letter, but Blackwell is ok too

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I forgot to add that I'd prefer to run one set of tires year round. Had a crown Vic for the last 10 years and swapped tires every year and I'm just sick of doing it. I'm pretty sure the blizzaks won't survive the warm months very well, unsure on the generals. I really don't care to spend the extra money it takes to buy a Michelin tire either. Prefer outline white letter, but Blackwell is ok too

I know a few ppl with the Bfg all terrain's on their trucks and they like them for all year round performance, my neighbor has the Goodyear wrangler adventures with kevlar on her 2wd f150 and they didn't have too much trouble getting around with our record setting snowfall last winter.

I have Wild Country xtx's on my expy and I love them, I had not 1 problem getting around last winter. I've had it mildly off-road with no issues and they're not obnoxiously loud in the summer months with the windows down. Plus they're made in the U.S.A. I could only find them in 275 70 18 but I would think they would fit with no problems ad the extra contact area would help out in the snow.
1001cf9e08336f17a8a0d2ed08af911b.jpg
bd15812e6cb509bdeb005cc6e51b1ee7.jpg
7391974acd412fdbaf549334f8986e96.jpg

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got about 45k miles on the set that's on there now and I haven't exactly babied them so I'm sure they could go much longer without a heavy foot lol.

I had an 03 CVPI that I had to get rid of after I bought the expy and I loved that car, it was a blast to drive.
232ac88e2abb15e2f87971348e059ec4.jpg

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. My father swears by those tires, but when i looked them up i couldn't get them in the right size as you said. I will look into the 275/70/18. As long as they wont rub or throw off the speedometer too much i think those are what i wanna get.

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. My father swears by those tires, but when i looked them up i couldn't get them in the right size as you said. I will look into the 275/70/18. As long as they wont rub or throw off the speedometer too much i think those are what i wanna get.
No prob, I don't think they'll affect the speedo at all since they're only wider and not bigger or smaller in diameter. I still have a little life left on mine and I was gonna get a set of nitto terra grapplers but these really impressed me so I'm gonna throw another set on after this set is done. Plus you can't beat the price vs bfg, goodyear, michelin, nitto etc. Good luck with the fitment, I hope they work out for ya.

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What was the price per tire for these that you found? Did you get at a local tire shop or online somewhere?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2