"Best" programer/chip for MPH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockunlimited2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not know what to look for in programers, I know the claims from the dealers are not a good starting point, what is a very good programmer/chip to increase MPG. I don't pull a trailer, I drive like an old man, and I just picked up a JTL ram intake. This is a DD to get to the office, but I would like to pick up some MPGs for the summer trips up north. What is a good programer for MPG? I do not want a dash mopunted unit, just a plug in, down load, and remove unit. For a stock 03 EB with 90k and the 5.4, what kind of gains can I expect? I sit at around 13 MPG city right now, have not taken a long RT with it yet to determine the HW MPG. I see there are two camps, the $600+ units with more options than I need, and the $375 camp. I dont plan on chnaging tire size or regearing (I traded in a Rubicon for the Expy, I dont need to get back into that mode again) but I want a good bit of differance if I am going to mess with a programer. Any idea on the hypertech E-con programer? I also see programers on Ebay from SCT (SF3) for less than $300, and Hypertech Power Programmer III 41043 for less than $200 are those good units?

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it all depends on what youre looking for...i have Superchips Vortex 1950...used for the gas saver feature mostly for city driving and hwy trips...but it also has 2 other performance settings as well...others on here have custom tuned SCT programmers...i think a few even have Diablo...it all depends on what youre doing....

stay tuned...everyone loves this type of question so you'll get a lot of reviews/comments...ALL GOOD STUFF!!!

OP
OP
R

Rockunlimited2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK just read way too much on programers on way too many forums. Bla Bla Bla canned bla bla bla custom, bla bla bla adjust the angle of the dangle, Bla Bla Bla, Gryphon super custom tune that will cause instant ******, bla bla bla. What the hell is a gryphon? Why do I need it? I have a stock 03 5.4 EB, I have a JTL ram intake in a box on my workbench (Too cold to work on the truck) and that will be it for mods (other than the 24" LCD going in, with the xbox 360 for the kid). I would like more pop, but I don't need it. I do want more MPH, right now I am looking at the E-con or the SCT SF3. any reason not to go onother direction? I do not want a dash mounted thing, it needs to look stock.

Last edited:

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the gyphron is a "customed tuned" Edge... from PHP tuning

as for a programmer for the 2gen expy I'm not too familiar with but I'm running an edge CS on my 99 and love it... and for the dash pod on a edge you can unplug it after it has been "programmed" or leave it plugged in and hide the display

OP
OP
R

Rockunlimited2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, so I am finding a lot of programers for f-150 trucks, Most say "Also compatible with the 1997-2002 Expedition, Navigator, and Excursion
Will not work on the 2003 Expedition" not good.

Last edited:

remoonsk

Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of reading and have gone threw a few different chips/programmers my self. Still haven't found one i like so i was wondering what is the hands down best programmer/chip or stack for a 2003 Cummins. Mine is a cali 235hp motor. All opinions are appreciated. Thanks

make nose smaller

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so I am finding a lot of programers for f-150 trucks, Most say "Also compatible with the 1997-2002 Expedition, Navigator, and Excursion
Will not work on the 2003 Expedition" not good.

go to stylin.com, godfathercustoms.com and to walmart and buy a couple of magezines...flip through the pages to find all the websites that offer parts and search on the internet. once you find something search that manufacturer and get their p/n...search on ebay for cheaper price and check authorized dealers...

autoanything.com or anythingauto.com
partswarehouse.com
andyauto.com

start with that...