Blinker/Turn Signal Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Noticed my turn signals/blinkers stop functioning the other day while driving.

Sometimes, turning the switch off, then back on will get them going again.

Did a bit more diagnosis after driving it this past Saturday.

It seems that, while the electrical system is under load (headlights and AC) while at low speeds/stopped/idle, they flake out.

If I turn off the headlights and AC, they seem to function fine.

If I'm driving on the freeway with headlights and AC, they work just fine.

Anyone seen this issue before?

I'm going to replace the turn signal relay today, and see if that fixes it. If not, my next thought was the multi-function stick, but didn't really want to throw parts at it if someone was familiar with an issue like this.

Thanks!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check all connections starting at the battery for any signs of corrosion or looseness.
Check your alternator connections and check the belt for tightness,
Check your battery voltage with engine off, with engine at idle and with engine at 1500 rpm's Post those results.

How old is the battery?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same issue, although I haven't noticed it associated to AC function. When I put the turn signal on, I get a solid light- no blinking. Sometimes it goes from blinking to solid. I don't think I've ever seen it go from solid to blinking.

Was told it could be a broken filament in the bulb that gets bounced across the other filament and shorts it out. Could also be the multi-function switch.

I haven't looked into it beyond posting here though.

OP
OP
kythri

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My light doesn't go solid, it just shuts off.

As far as the battery and alternator, both are about 6 months old.

I'll definitely check the cables, but the only issue is isolated to the turn signals - no issues starting, no issues with the other lights, etc.

(My other post regarding the power locks existed prior to this particular issue cropping up - don't believe they're related.)

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replace your bulbs. One is bad, most likely, the blinker. The filiment its grounding itself, despite being broken, and that is when it works. You vibrate, turn, etc, it disconnects and then you loose the light.

This happens on Motorcycles and scooters with the blinkers - its easy to check too.

OP
OP
kythri

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back after a bit!

Not a bulb issue. A bulb issue would be isolated to a particular side (left or right). Further, a bad bulb would usually manifest as a fast blinker or an always-on non-blinking blinker.

Anyhow, I've verified all the bulbs. They're fine.

As far as voltages:

Engine off, hood/driver door open: 12.64V
Engine on, idle 750-800 RPM: 14.53V
Engine on, 1500-2000 RPM: 14.55V

Engine on, idle 750-800 RPM, accessories on (headlights, fog lamps, AC, stereo: drops like a rock, watched it drop down to 12.75 before I revved it up to 1500, at which point, the voltage restored to 14.5V.

(EDITED TO ADD: I will say, with this voltage drop at idle with all the accessories on, I did troubleshoot this initially when I first had the problem - I kept the engine at 1500-2000 RPM and still had the same issue - two or three blinks, then it crapped out. Post-relay replacement, even with the voltage drop, the blinker never stopped.)

Engine off, voltage back up to 12.64V

So, moving on to this past weekend:

I've replaced the flasher relay under the steering wheel, down near the center console.

After 2 days and some heavier driving with all accessories, I'm about 90% confident that this was the culprit - especially given the YouTube video I posted with the same symptoms.

I'll drive it all this week and verify, but that's where we're at right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kythri

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, a couple more weeks have passed, and no further turn signal issues.

I used a NAPA turn signal relay module. Works just fine. Only "downside" is that it's a quieter click than I'm used to, so I find myself constantly looking at the blinker indicator to make sure it's still working. :)

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thread resurrected!

My brothers 99 expe seems to be having the same problem. Anyone got a part number to the flasher relay?