Body Shop says Platinum Grill will not fit XLT :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drew47000000

Reaction score
So! In my never ending quest of dressing up our XLT a bit we hit a major snag this week. We contacted our local Ford Parts Dept and ordered the lower Platinum Grill insert and ordered the center and upper section off ebay used. The parts dept insured us that the part#'s showed compatibility between all trims so we took the plunge and ordered away.

After all 3 parts arrived I made an apt at a local body shop/collision center to have the parts installed. A full day later the delivered the vehicle back to me with no changes stating that the Platinum grill inserts are not compatible with the XLT. Sounded like the base/receiver that the inserts connect to was part of the problem and that the inserts were wider than the ones coming out of my XLT. Also the headlight design/shape could possibly be different affecting some of the dimensions?

This came as a complete shock. The parts dept said it would work and I also saw a picture of a seller on ebay who made the conversion some how. The seller was advertising the foglight chrome trims (which we also ordered) and if you study the picture you will see its definitely an XLT Exp. but with the Plat. grill. See Link Bellow.

I guess I'll return the grill inserts and chalk it up as a no go but If anyone has any ideas/suggestions before I ship them back i'm all ears.

Thanks for listening!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Fro...Lv5PairwiseWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Parts departments don’t know their ass from their elbow. Mine once also told me that I couldn’t put the chrome window strip that goes down the side of 2016 ELs rear windows onto my wife’s Limited bc their system said its “not compatible” with limited models

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There used to be something called Hollander interchange guide or something like that. Listed compatibility of stuff. Not sure if they are still around or if that’s the exact name. Might be of some help to you.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats why I bought the better model.....I've messed with dressing up lower models and it was a hassle one way or another.

brhulen

Reaction score
Interesting thread here. In addition to our two Expeditions (11&97) I also have a 2015 F350 KR on which I also wanted to install the Platinum grill. The local Ford parts department also assured me it would fit and although I didn't pull the trigger on an OEM Platinum grill at over $1000 I later found out they were not in fact compatible. Suffice to say always double check!

OP
OP
D

Drew47000000

Reaction score
Body shop sent me more detailed parts diagrams today. There's different base assemblies which the inserts connect to. Long story short its a no go and not worth the $ it would take to complete.

Thats why I bought the better model.....I've messed with dressing up lower models and it was a hassle one way or another.
When we bought our 202A XLT it had about $10k in rebates last NOV and like $1k on Limited and above. It was about $20k difference to go to the 303a limited and we just couldnt justify that so we went for the 202A for about $48k considering its my wife's mom mobile and the kids will surely be hard on it anyway.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like ford isn’t hip to guys dolling up lower trims. Walled garden on the good stuff.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65