Brake Bleed Valves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vigilante

Reaction score
So I was bleeding my brakes the other day after the installation of a new master cylinder. 3 of the wheels bled fine, however, the right front wheel bleed valve is practically rusted into position.

All of my attempts have done nothing to get the thing to loosen at all! I have since gone out and bought a new bleeder valve to install knowing that I am going to destroy this one in the process of removal.

Two days on now and I still haven't had it budge. With the use of multiple penetrating oils I haven't had squat for results.

Is there ANYTHING that I can try that I may have not done already? Brakes are a little soft and not quite so good to drive on which is why I would like to fix this immediately.

Thanks

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem but I was able to use a pipe wrench(after I had totally destroyed the head around the valve.) But my next attempt would have been to drill a bit throw the hex part of the valve and gently tap the bit while still in the valve. Iffffff you attempt that make it your last attempt.

I would definitely try a pipe wrench first.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Considering a new caliper is only worth $40-50 (I've even seen some listed in the $30s...), is it even worth the time to screw with it?

Not to me.

I'd just soak the bleeder down with whatever I had handy and then throw a wrench on it then give 'er hard.

If she breaks, then she breaks. Then I'd just toss the caliper on the bench and install a new one in it's place. :Pshyco:

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just took of a caliper of a 1999 with 78k on the clock just because I wanted new ones. Easy to paint (lazy). I will sell you all 4 for 80 plus shipping. They are in good shape. Let me know. It is a 1999 EB 4X4. You can get manufacturered fronts for like 55 on amazon.... I think the shipping is free from Centric. Best of luck I am located in NJ

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like a plan to me.

Now if you feel energetic one day you can throw the old one in a vice a force that old bleeder out and have a spare caliper ready to go if you ever need it... ;-)