Brake Line Blocking Caliper Bolt (Front Passenger)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iridius

Reaction score
I have been changing the rotors and brake pads on my 2001 Expedition 4x4 today I am on the final one which is the front passenger side and the brake line is blocking the Top torx/star Bolt that I need to loosen. Any ideas how to get to it.

Its a t45 size and on the driver side although it was tight my ratchet adapter fit, I tried using a screwdriver adapter with vice grips but they keep slipping. I already sprayed it with PB Blaster as well but still not budging.3d2963af7788be5a834a7ceac2d8e8b4.jpgc432fcdd5f3d0741d3aaa7f43a2b17e2.jpg28cf01817c01bdb8af983cf8a4f7c564.jpgfd82964436ad9c09040ca606a4489414.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just bent the line outa the way enuff by hand, looks like a bit down from your pix,

i found the torx part cheezy & easy to strip, perhaps way more so if old rusty original,

vise grips right on the head work but chew it up,

you can get hex head replacements

Last edited:

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
take that torx bit and put a box end wrench the size of the hex on it instead of the vice grips

that would give you the clearance and the leverage

tweaking the line as mentioned would work too

OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I'd need a size 6 box wrench, I'm still using Nd old duralast set and don't have that, I need to upgrade ;) I used an adjustable wrench amd it was way better than the vice grips thanks.

I still needed to bend the brake line some. I was doing this all in the dark with flashlight, but I got it done. All 4, went to go do the routine the instructions called "bedding" the brakes and.... one of the headlights I put in yesterday was out. SMH. I got those clear ones with bulbs in them off of Amazon and the cable connectors side locks kept breaking, hope it just needs electric tape. But one challenge at a time. Thanks all.

OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
I know right. I NEED a full Snap-On set.... and a garage too ;)

OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
no

all you need is a $20 set of wrenches
Darn it, I was about to explain to my wife why I needed that set up comma I guess I have to wait till I rebuild the transmission in her car or something :)

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just bent the line outa the way enuff by hand, looks like a bit down from your pix,

i found the torx part cheezy & easy to strip, perhaps way more so if old rusty original,

vise grips right on the head work but chew it up,

you can get hex head replacements

This, exactly this.

I've worked in enough shops over the years, and every single one would say the same thing. Just deflect it enough to get the bolt out without kinking it, and it is a problem that you solved for every future service. No point in wasting fluid/bleeding and creating more work for yourself, or damaging tools on something so minor.