Brake Lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanadianBackwoods

Reaction score
Hi I just bought a 1999 Eddie Bauer edition and in order to put it on the road they said i need to do brake lines (because they are a little rusty). I'm doing them myself and I was looking if anyone has some tips on doing them.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You only need to use steel tubing and new nipples as well. Soak the fittings thoroughly with penetrating oil for easy removal. If it still brakes, the caliper pistons might still be ok. Purchase a brake line repair tool which includes a bender and flaring and tubing cutter.

Jimdar

Reaction score
Get the copper alloy brake lines. A few dollars more but makes the job so much easier. It's a lot more flexible. I replaced my brake lines 2 years ago. Some of the old lines snapped in my hands. They were that rusty and brittle.

Last edited:

98RedExp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Copper Alloy seconded. You should hit them a coating of bed liner to prevent rusting prior to install. that extra waiting time will ensure they NEVER rust.

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when i went to the parts store i found out that the brake lines are bubble flared. i had to do the one brake line going from the front all the way to the back on drivers side i ended up using a roll of brake line and two compression fitting only reason is because i didnt have the right flaring tool for the bubble flare, then i had to run another brake line from drivers rear to the passengers rear which that was pretty easy after i got the old line out of its holder clips an just to let some know i got a 5 foot piece for that one and only had a few inches to spare after it was all bent and screwed into the fitting

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I've always liked to install lines that are already pre bent and good to go. I also recommend buying or borrowing a quality flare wrench or wrenches to remove and install lines. The nut end of lines are real soft metal, and will round off real quick using regular open end wrenches. Me I like Snap on or Matco, but they are a little pricey wrenches for some. Just use quality, for your lines and wrenches and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when i went to the parts store i found out that the brake lines are bubble flared. i had to do the one brake line going from the front all the way to the back on drivers side i ended up using a roll of brake line and two compression fitting only reason is because i didnt have the right flaring tool for the bubble flare, then i had to run another brake line from drivers rear to the passengers rear which that was pretty easy after i got the old line out of its holder clips an just to let some know i got a 5 foot piece for that one and only had a few inches to spare after it was all bent and screwed into the fitting
not legal in canada

there's a good thread out there, part#s & detailed info, might be this

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1024758-fixed-99-xp-rusted-rear-brake-lines.html

also might get a second opinion

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's not legal,Oem brake lines from Ford? Or ar you talking about bend your own type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk