Brakes, front rotor replacement, '04

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCBrewer

Reaction score
I've got an '04 2WD Eddie Bauer with the usual shuddering front brakes. Only 36,000 miles. What a shit piece of engineering. Anyway, I'm going to replace the rotors with Brembo, and the pads with Hawk.

But I'm wondering, do I need to go with new bearings? I haven't had one of these apart yet. Is the hub integral to the rotor or does it just slide off?

Thanks,
-John

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't help you with your question, since I have no idea. But, I know there is a difference between the 4WD and 2WD rotors on the newer F150s. I can't remember which one already comes with the bearings on it. Lemme see if I can find out.

EDIT:
After a quick search, here's what I found.

On the 2WD F150s, the bearing comes integrated with the rotors (which makes it more expensive than the 4WD variant). Also, the rotor and the hub are one piece.

Again, this is for the 04-08 F150's, so I don't know how much of this may apply to the Expeditions.

BTW, are you doing this yourself? If so, could you do a write-up?

Last edited:

GRIP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no you don't have to replace the bearings if they r still good. the rotor just slides off ounce you pull the caliper off there might be lock washer on 2 of the studs you can break the off you don't need them. they r there just to hold the rotor on during assembly.

OP
OP
J

JCBrewer

Reaction score
Thanks! So the hub isn't integral. Great. Makes for a much easier job.

-John