Broken spark plug !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

terr5178

Reaction score
5.4 2007 broken plug. I know there is the lesle tool but I don't have it now but will buy of this idea doesn't work.
I was thinking of running the truck with the coil removed on the cracked plug cylinder and my thought is the compression should push it out........ has anyone tried this or is it just another stupid idea.. ty

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can try it for a short while and let us know. Spray some Liquid Wrench penetrating oil into the sparkplug well to try and free it up too. I haven't really heard of anybody trying this method. But hell, it could work.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wear your PPE and goggles if you try that. Spark plugs can penetrate the hood. But in thinking of this, won't a downstroke without ignition pull fragments into the cylinder??

OP
OP
T

terr5178

Reaction score
I figure the down stroke will open the intake valve and pulls in air through intake. Compression stroke should pop it out..
Good thinking, I'll put something over it so it doesn't ruin the hood

Last edited:

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I figure the down stroke will open the intake valve and pulls in air through intake. Compression stroke should pop it out..
Good thinking, I'll put something over it so it doesn't ruin the hood
It is the point after TDC on compression stroke (valves closed) which was my concern.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking of running the truck with the coil removed on the cracked plug cylinder and my thought is the compression should push it out........
Wouldn't that strip the threads out of the head? That was a problem back when the 3 valve 5.4 were unintentionally blowing plugs out of the engine. Then you had to install helicoils to repair the threads.

OP
OP
T

terr5178

Reaction score
It worked! I removed the coil and placed a rag over the plug hole. Started the truck. It ran rough while getting warm but I gave the throttle a tap and sure enough the piece of plug shot out! Maybe I got lucky. New plug went in fine.

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It worked! I removed the coil and placed a rag over the plug hole. Started the truck. It ran rough while getting warm but I gave the throttle a tap and sure enough the piece of plug shot out! Maybe I got lucky. New plug went in fine.
Holy guacamole,

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Good deal ! Did you spray any penetrating oil in there before doing it ?