brown wire mod, revisited.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csdangerous

Reaction score
i have an 01, and last year i did this mod, after reading about it here. no switch is needed at all. i cut the wire, capped both ends with quality wire nuts, and promptly spun the rears. 4 hi and 4 lo work just like they should, and 4 hi is still usable on the fly. gone however is the horrible CLUNK of the magnets engaging 4x4 when it sensed tire slip. BWM is DEFINITELY a MUST for any first gen EXPY owner !

Club Expo

Reaction score
Does it feel different with it in actual 2wd ? Feel like I can feel drag under acceleration in awd , maybe its in my head

Club Expo

Reaction score
Where your you cut the wire ? I'm very interested in this. And your 4wd still engages ?

csdangerous

Reaction score
it absolutely feels different. full lock turns don't have the binding or pushing that they did when it was AWD. i think you definitely are feeling drag in AWD. my 4x4 engages just like all my manual hub trucks have. 4 hi is on the fly, stop and put it in neutral for 4 lo. i have not had any issues in the year i've had it done, and i've used my 4x4 at least 60 + times. i cut the wire right up near the harness, maybe 5 or 6 inches out of the T CASE. i'll post a picture tomorrow.

Jyates

Reaction score
I did this mod to my explorer, the only thing it did was kill power to the clutch setup in the transfer case. The motor shift from high range to low range, just doesnt engage the front shaft until the switch is flipped on