Bug Deflector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Loki, what year is your truck? Is that the magnetic metallic color? Looks just like my '15. I like that look. Do they make it gloss too or matte only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Loki, what year is your truck? Is that the magnetic metallic color? Looks just like my '15. I like that look. Do they make it gloss too or matte only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is a 17, and yes the same color. Pretty sure it comes in Black Textured and Chrome.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now, I just remembered something, I still haven’t received those chrome mirror caps.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cancelled the order for chrome mirror caps they emailed me and said they are back ordered till Christmas time. Ordered from elsewhere now. I wonder if the AVS and weathertech are the same deflector. Hoping mine holds up well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the WeatherTech item. I drove from north Georgia to Mid-Florida; 12 hour trip. The deflector worked fine. I have washed the vehicle since to get the road trip grime and bugs and the deflector was fine. Drove interstate speeds....... so I have no regrets having the WeatherTech brand.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have any of you seen any effect on gas mileage with these? Mine came with one from the previous owner, and I don't know if I like it or not… I'm gonna take it off before a longish drive tomorrow and see if it improves my mileage at all, but curious to hear others' experiences.

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bigger issue on fuel mileage is the crossbars on the roof rack. Somewhere I read on my old Acadia they cost 1 mpg so I ran with them off (I had bought them to hold Yakima Skybox which I rarely used). Real world Interstate mileage at 75-80 on my 2010 was about 20-21mpg, while 2017 Limited Expedition is at best 19 so far (2500 miles). It was interesting on my 2017 Limited they were installed by Ford on the rear portion of the roof rack, maybe placement has some effect?
Yakima/Thule have streamlining shields that are designed for reducing drag of roof racks which look somewhat similar to bug deflectors but not as smooth. With the Expedition being shaped pretty much like a giant brick, I doubt their is much other than one of those huge square top carriers that will hurt mileage much more than the Ford's basic body shape.
Looking at the streamlined Weathertech bug deflector on my Expedition versus the front body shape I'd guess the bug deflector probably helps reduce drag by kicking the wind higher and reducing windshield drag/bug collection (which is what it is supposed to do).

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen any effect on mileage, the benefit of it is the protection from small rock chips.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chase5817