buying an 05 with 146000 miles, reliability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpyBillD

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2007 EL Limited with 100,400 miles for $19,200 after trade in. Had a Car Fax report with it that showed a good record of maintenance and no accidents. Also, previous owner had a business and put lots of highway miles on it, which is good, not all city stop and go driving. Bought it from the dealer who also serviced the vehicle. I traded in my 1997 EB which had 252,000 miles on it, so, my feeling, you take care of your Ford, it takes care of you.

Prior to this decision, I did a lot of on line research. Found similar EL Limiteds or EBs, in the 2007 - 2008 year ranges, with 40 - 60K miles on them were running $26 - 28K+ to buy. So, my thinking, I seriously doubt I will be dumping another $6 - 8K, outside or routine maintenance requirements, into this new one given my experience with my previous Expedition in which I still had my original engine, trans and all.

Last edited:

esbaum

Reaction score
Don't do it!!!!!!!

I have experienced one problem after another with a pampered 6 year old car with less then 65k miles on it. I am being nickeled and dimed to death on a well maintained grocery getter my wife loves to drive.

The first ding that I had to overcome was the car's supposed 14 to 18 mpg, as it has never topped 13mpg since I have had it. For such a well looked after vehicle I have had major issues. I have had repaired or rebuilt my transmission (now for the second time), throttle body and motor assembly, window motor, rotors, paint cracking under the clear coat ...

My wife and I spent a lot of our hard earned earned money on what we thought was a really nice car. The worst part about it is that my wife loves this care with all of the bells and whistles but I am at my wits end. The dealer can only do so much but times are tuff and after a multi Billion dollar BAIL OUT I want a little back!! If anything I just want people to think twice about buying a car from a manufacturer who's slogan "Quality is job one" sounds great but is only that words. The proof is in the pudding as they say and I have just not seen it. So yes I guess $40,000 does not buy you what it used to but it should buy a car that runs and looks great for years to come

danimal

Reaction score
Price seems high. I bought a 2005 XLT in 9/2012 with 131,000 miles in nearly perfect condition from a dealer for $6,900 out the door. It has the maintenance records, does not have leather and has just the base radio,CD/cassette but does have captains chairs. I thought it was a fair deal, not one to brag about.