Cam Spacers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black_Exhaust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"MMR Billet Cam spacers (2V and 4V)
These new Cam spacers are made from 6061 T-6 Aluminum and are hard anodized RED for strength, these cam spacers reduce important rotating weight by over 80% compared to the stock spacer but still retain the strength of the heavy factory spacers. They can be installed while the engine is in the car with simple hand tools and dyno testing has proven to add Quicker engine revving and response and HP by reducing parasitic drag/weight. 2 Included per kit. As used in the MMR 2000 Horsepower racecar!"
"SOHC | $59.99"

From what I know about all cast iron vs all aluminum engines the aluminum engines rev higher because the rotating mass weighs less. This almost sounds like snake oil But mmr isn't a company I wouldn't trust. For 60 bucks I'd love to try them but can anyone give me some advice before I blow the money on getting these installed? Does a spacer effect the engine that badly and would I need to get everything retimed after they take off the chains?

Thanks for any advice!

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Well, actually the crank and rods are usually steel or cast iron on nearly all motors regartless of the block material. The pistons are almost always aluminium, regardless of block material. So the rotating mass is pretty much the same.

Aluminium blocks and heads do cool better and weigh less so they allow more the vehicle to run more efficiently.

These things seem to be the overhead cam equivalent of aluminium rocker arms. Lowering the recriprocating mass of those parts sould make the truck rev quicker and, assuming that they change the ratio of the valve opening (increased valve lift), they could very well make more power.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Oh, nevermind. Just looked them up and they are NOT what I thought they were.

Still could reduce the mass of the spinning cams, but I can't see how they would free up that much hp.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't just do the cam spacers if you're in there. Those are usually replaced when the rest of the internals are done, and the billet aluminum weight reduction goes much further in gaining HP. Just replacing those would be a waste IMO. Would it help it rev quicker....quite possibly. But I wouldn't think it would be that noticeable.

OP
OP
B

Black_Exhaust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I couldn't begin to afford all the new rockers, lifters, springs etc let alone to have them all installed. but I figured such small parts wouldn't really effect the over all "quickness" of my engine. its not so much about power this time, but spooling up.

I did know that all cranks are cast iron, rods are either titanium or iron, but as for aluminum pistons in a cast iron block wouldnt that cause the piston to get ceased? The current hemis are cast iron motors but even they can get up twice as quick as the 5.4 can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1