Can I add CCD or take it off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moonlitj

Reaction score
About a month ago I bought my first Expedition. It's. 22 Limited. The ride is a little rough. Now the dealership to certify it put on some super cheap tires. So I'm thinking the ride will smooth when I put the correct rated tire on. They put a much higher speed rating on so it's a harder compound. Does anybody know if you can add the CCD? When I go to the Ford parts website to look at replacing shocks the only option that comes up for my VIN number is CCD in the front, but I have looked and the shocks don't look anything like the ones on the website. So it makes me wonder if they've replaced the shocks but didn't put those on to save money. I would think if you didn't replace them when it had it before you'd throw a code.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So a higher speed rated tire doesn't mean its a harder compound, they typically tend to be a little softer for more grip. A harder compound also wouldn't mean it would automatically ride rougher, sidewall stiffness is what causes a harsher ride. The load range index on a tire will typically equate to a stiffer sidewall and a harsher ride. The higher the load range the stiffer the sidewall.

If your vin comes up with the CCD shocks then you have the CCD shocks. If the dealership were to remove them, you would have a fault light on the dash and a ton of notifications in your dash display. Look for an electrical wire coming off the shocks and connecting into a harness, it will be noticeable. Did you receive the window sticker with the vehicle?

OP
OP
moonlitj

moonlitj

Reaction score
I double and triple checked and mine are not the CCD shocks. I have no wire or the the part that sticks out the side. Its weird that normal shocks don't show up on Ford parts site for my VIN. I do know from experience and working in the tire industry that a 30k V rated tire will ride a little rougher then a 60k H rated. But I also get it has 22in wheels. All my other SUVs has 20's. So I might just buy a set of them and see how that works. I was just hoping someone knew if you could plug and play a set of CCD but I bet I don't even have a plug.I would have to pull the wheel to look.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have yet to see someone add ccd shocks to their truck in the 10 yrs its been available

OP
OP
moonlitj

moonlitj

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have yet to see someone add ccd shocks to their truck in the 10 yrs its been available
That's what I am seeing. I think I have a big decision to make. Do I buy the 20s with new pirelli that came of an f150 or do I put new name brand tires on the 22's. Then decided if I do Bilsteins that I have read about here.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
20s is probably the way to go, but the ride will still be somewhat stiff either route you take

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Smaller wheels are the way to go. My ride on 18's is so much smoother than the old 22's.

I'm not totally convinced on the CCD being the end all be all. I'd think if you invested in a quality aftermarket suspension system that you could be as good, if not better than the CCD. I'd be looking that route than trying to figure out how to implement CCD. Don't get me wrong, my CCD suspension is nice, but not something I'd rave about.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ccds best quality is the option to choose how you want your truck to feel, soft or stiff. I will admit, it's not a better substitute than air springs, and it can't overcome the antiquated frame these trucks ride on.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP needs to take a closer look at his shocks. According to the 2022 order guide, the 22s on the limited he has can only come with CCD. Look at page 21 of the guide.

Front struts will look like the photos in the link below. From the outside you want see any difference to a normal strut, you’ll need to turn one of your wheels and look behind it.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ccd is an option on limited with 22s for my22, it's not standard. From what I remember, most limited didn't have ccd unless it was ordered that way. It is more possible than not the OP had got a used limited without ccd. The only way to verify is it he can pull up his window sticker and it's in the option list.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240127_145149_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127_145149_OneDrive.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: