Can I, should I, clean the engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fvernet

Reaction score
Mine is a 2011 Expy with 185k miles. Still running strong. The engine, engine space and everything in there are quite dirty. Is it recommended, or even possible, to clean everything without potentially damaging the electrical conduits/wiring? How would you do it?

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Absolutely you can clean it. Most of the electrical has water tight connectors and damaging the electrical is really not an issue. With that said though dont go and hit it full on with a power washer cause that could cause issues. I usually cover the alternator with a plastic bag.

My method is hose it down (the entire engine bay) with engine degreaser (everybody has their favorite product to use) on a cool engine and let it sit for the recommended time, usually 10-15 minutes. Then simply hose it off with a light spray of water. I use my power washer but its got a soap dispensing nozzle on it that shoots out a nice light stream of water and nothing powerful. If you want it nice and looking new then you'll have to get after the caked on spots with a brush. After its rinsed you can let it air dry or fire it up and let the engine heat dry it. Afterwards hit it with an engine detail spray and get it looking real pretty

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I clean all my engines with engine degreaser a a blast from the hose. The trick is to keep it clean so you don't have to be too invasive. Be careful around the cops so you don't get water down in the plug holes. I used to use the quarter car wash but they kicked me out. I never had any problems doing it in 60 years.

Flight-ER-Doc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure you can, and should. It's not at all hard, and you don't need much in the way of tools.

First thing to do is blow all the loose junk off, with a shop vac hose hooked up to the exhaust. This reduces the amount of dirt that will turn to mud.

Then, with a cool engine, spray all the metal and plastic pieces down with some all purpose cleaner - simple green, 409, something fancy from the detail aisle... then scrub it with a kind of firm parts cleaning brush....it lets you get down into small spaces. Rinse, repeat as needed.

If you want to be fancy, spray and wipe down the plastic pieces with some protectant. I like 303. Get the hood gaskets too. Then I lubricate the hinges and lock with silicone spray.

There are a ton of youtube videos on detailing cars, some include doing the engine.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I clean mine with spray degreaser and a rag. After a couple of bad experiences I stopped spraying water on them. Everything *should* be waterproof and sealed up. If it's not or if you have insulation breaking down on wires and connectors you could have a problem. I learned that the hard way and I've adjusted my behavior.

In the case of newer Fords, the coils seem to be a weak point. I'd try to keep them dry. I had a few develop consistent problems after soaking.

Nothing like education through pain.

TDBDLB

Reaction score
After initial heavy cleaning, try tire cleaner/shine spray. Looks nice and removes light dirt/dust to prevent heavy buildup.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Add me to the lost of "water+coils=problems"...granted, they were aftermarket cheapos and not Motorcraft....waiting on the genius to come along and say that all coils are the same, as are tires and shocks... SMFH.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Add me to the lost of "water+coils=problems"...granted, they were aftermarket cheapos and not Motorcraft....waiting on the genius to come along and say that all coils are the same, as are tires and shocks... SMFH.

*****!!! Now that shit right their is fuuuuny. I know who you’re referring to too.

Thanks for the laugh.