Catalytic Converter Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markanthony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would not recommend removing all the cats and straight pipein it. You loose low end and over all the performance SUCKS. I went from factory set up getting 14 mph IN TOWN to 9 mph IN TOWN, tranny was constantly shifting out of over drive. Just take out the 4 of them and install 2. one on each side.

Think about this. The OEM (factory) cat's have that different inside material (non honeycomb) that is not easy to push threw. The new off the shelf and on, are a honey comb inside deal that one could see threw it.

Think of a drinking straw. fill it with, say, sand, then try to blow air threw it.. This would a OEM factory cat...
Now take the same straw, (without the sand) and fill it with, say, filter material, and blow threw it. This would be new cats... Honeycomb.
When you buy a new cat. Look threw it. You can see out the other end of it. It's straight threw... Would this not be thought as "high flow" Look at your old stockers and see what you can see threw them.

On mine. I went with some cheep ($100) cats and installed two. One on each side. I have not had any codes, problems, lack of power, loss in milage. Actually. I am now back to 13 to 15 mph IN TOWN. I have not been on the freeway long distance as of yet...

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
idk...i want to do the rear cat delete...dont want to through codes though...are you the one that started the FB page?

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this is how mine was explained cats are priced/ categorized however you want to put it by the precious metals in them the frone cats with a 90 degreeisg bend have three precious metals and the rears have two precious metals. magnaflow does not make one with three precious metals so my shop uses catco for those two which are a hi flow cat and magnaflow for the rear two. thats my actual setup. im lookin at removing my magnaflows and do a rear cat delete since my 02 sensors are in the middle. i did notice a power increase as well as noise increase. but i did feel that with how much i have already opened up my exhaust ans lessening my back pressure i have lost a little nottom end but have gained top end mostly notice it when pulling a trailer.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so where do the sensors need to be to throw CEL? i want to know so i know if i can do my 04 5.4 EB...

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
freeway kinda confused by what your saying but i think i understand what your trying to ask. look under your truck at the cats and you will see the o2 sensor going into the pipe most lokely between the two sets of cats on each side. if you look at lets just say the driver side and you see the o2 plug in in between th two cats then you can remove the cat

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
o and as for the whole little story about as no such thing as a hi flow muffler explain why on my brothers dodge with stock exhaust we pulled off the cat welded in a hi flow magnaflow and the truck rumbled like he actually had a fancy exhaust o and it still passed emissions for the last three years now so even if its not really hi flow cat call it a sounds badass cat that still lasts and keeps you emissions friendly.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok bad news i have th o2 sensor behind both my cats... i could have swore it was in between the cats so my question is did they re locate my sensors? that sucks i was just lookin under there cause i was checking to see how long they where so i could put pieces of straight pipe in place of the rear cats. but shure as shit i have a sensor then two cats then sensor on each side. i think the different sensor locations may have something to do with carb. because so many expys where built to be able to be sold in cali and so many where not mine has the cali carb bs and was sold in illinois.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok bad news i have th o2 sensor behind both my cats... i could have swore it was in between the cats so my question is did they re locate my sensors? that sucks i was just lookin under there cause i was checking to see how long they where so i could put pieces of straight pipe in place of the rear cats. but shure as shit i have a sensor then two cats then sensor on each side. i think the different sensor locations may have something to do with carb. because so many expys where built to be able to be sold in cali and so many where not mine has the cali carb bs and was sold in illinois.

That is the same set up that mine has and I have done the rear cat delete. Almost a year now and still NO CEL the only thing that the rear sensor does is make sure that the reading is different from the front.

So as long as you have at least one cat on each bank ( 1 Driver side and 1 Passanger side ) and it is located between the 2 sensors you will be fine.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i HATE the cali CARB bs! but i have to deal with it until i move to zona or some where else.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziZ