Change Tranny Fluid???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
old school for me, drop the pan, gently blot dry droplets, inspect, change the filter and button back up being careful to NOT over torque the bolts. take old fluid to automotive chain store for disposal.

change interval when towing, for me anyway, was 25K. I added the mag-hytec pan, holds an extra 8 qts of fluid & has a 1" magnetic drain plug and o-ring for sealing around the flange, B&M inline trans filter with temp sensor and gauge to keep an eye on it.

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never had any issue flushing my 07 expy, have the dealer do it aprox every 30,000 miles, going on 115,000 miles and no issues what so ever,and whats up FORD with having the trans dipstick underneath on the expy's ,really,back when I was younger and they had converter plugs I used to do my own trans fluid change,that went away with my 2002 F 350 PSD pick up,flush that one too,every 30,000 miles.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '09 EL had a leaky electrical plug to the tranny. I bought the replacement sleeve, dropped the pan, changed the filter and sleeve, and filled it back up with Mercon LV. That was 3 years ago. No problems .

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I bought a electric extraction pump on Ebay for $17. My 48K, 2001 Lincoln, had a fluid/filter change. The fluid was not cherry red, after another 2-3yrs of driving. I extracted, about 4.5qts(everything in the pan). It worked well, was quick and pain free. The transmission, does shift smoother. However, transmission fluid is dyed. They actually sell a red dye, to add to old stuff. The color, may be meaningless. A burnt smell, can indicate a problem

kekman

Reaction score
Just remember that regardless of which transmission you have, it is a basic hydraulic/mechanical device. The life of any hydraulic system is in the hydraulic oil: proper type, maintained often, filled to proper level but not over-filled. We trailer our boat over most of eastern US. I change oil and filter every 50K. I just gave my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee to my grandson that had 274,780 miles on it with no problems- trans or engine never rebuilt. Tow capacity was 5500lbs and our trailer net was 5200lbs- so we did something right. With the 6R transmission and the thermo check valve preventing complete drain, I will probably change at 50K instead of 100K per manual and drop oil out after another 10K @ 60K since you can not get all of it out at one time. Cheap insurance. Will service the 4wd at same time.

I would add that I always change the filter and clean out pan and bottom of Trans as best as I can. Don't leave any metal regardless how fine behind. That is why flushing is not a good SOP. Additionally, I will put a super-magnet around the drain plug to localize metal shavings and make easy cleaning. If pan is non-metallic, I replace the plug with a magnetic plug.

I never put additive packages in unless OEM requirement- only causes bigger problems downstream and masks bigger problems. I manage a very large fleet of semi-tractor/trailers with most having high pressure hydraulic systems operating throughout the N American continent. Keep to the above and operate within 80% of design parameters, you usually will not have a problem. Life is in the blood- and in this case- the blood is the hydraulic oil!

Last edited: