Changing Brakes.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is very straight forward.

Have you changed brakes before?

--------------

-->Pull the wheel.

-->Remove the two bolts that hold the caliper on.

-->Pull the outside pad off. (There is a spring that holds it on. Don't bend it or lose it and make sure you notice how it goes on because it is a bear to reinstall.)

-->Using a large C-clamp push the pistons back. ( Open the bleeder to allow the fluid to run out. Using a piece of rubber tubing over it & running into a jar is a good idea. Keep the old brake pad there so that the C-clamp has something to push against. )

--> Make sure the fluid doesn't get too low.

--> reinstall pads.

--> Test brakes before driving. You'll have to build the pressure back up by pumping them 5-6 times. Do not take the pedal to the floor. Repressurize by going down 1/2 way.

I think that is all...

Oh...get ceramics!!

OP
OP
B

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
446 posts and you can't give me pictures!!!!

I'll try it, and take pictures along the way next weekend.

Ron03Ford

Reaction score
I just tried replacing my front brakes last night and ran into a problem. I couldn't get the caliper off of the rotor. Here is what I did:
1) Took the two allen head bolts off
2) removed the retaining spring clip on the front pad
3) Removed a spring that is in the middle of the caliper

I tried to pull the caliper off, but it sounds like there might be another spring or something holding it on. I could hear kind of a spring type noise as I pulled the caliper out. I could only get the caliper to move about a half inch. Could it be that I didnt use enough force? any suggestions?
I just did the brakes on my 1999 F150 and didnt have any problems.
Thanks, Ron

Last edited:

Ron03Ford

Reaction score
Well I was able to get the caliper off. If anyone wants to know the procedure, this is what I did.
1) Jack up car, use jack stands. (its not worth losing an limb or your life).
2) Remove wheel
3) loosen two allen bolts. Mine had plastice caps over them. I used a #7 allen wrench
4) Remove the retaining clip that holds the front pad in place. pay attention how this goes so you know how to put it back on.
5) Removed the spring that is in between the pads on the back of the caliper, again pay attention how this goes back in.
6) Opened the cap on the master cylinder. Put rags around it just in case it spilled over.
7) Used a bar clap and squeezed the pads together to make it easier to pull the caliper off.
8) Pulled the caliper off and put a wire on it to hold it so to release tension on the brake hose
9) Used a C-clamp and compressed the pistions back. I kept the pad on so I wouldnt damage a pistion with the c-clamp.
10) removed the back pad. these are held in place with tension retaining clips. Just pull out. with a little force they will pop out.
11) removed the front pad Nothing really holding it in at this point.

To install, just do the reverse order. Hope this helps.

Johndint

Reaction score
Don't waste your time.. Take it to a trustworthy garage because you need the calipers serviced. They are chemically washed and if you're not changing the rotors you should use a brake lathe machine or an on the the car brake lathe.. Don't forget bleeding the brakes. Also put some brake quiet on the back of the pad. Quality of brake pad is important as well.

pchasarik

Reaction score
Easiest brake job I've ever done is on my 99 Expedition. Both front and rear are simple. In lieu of bleeding your brakes at the caliper to reduce the fluid amount before you do the job, you can use your old lady's turkey baster to draw some of the fluid out of the master cylinder -- about a 1/2 cup should do it. If she's like mine, she'll be a bit unhappy about it, so make sure to buy her a new baster if you choose to do it this way. Cost about $2. Just be sure to have a jar or something to put the old fluid in as your doing it, so you don't spill it all over the engine. Also make sure that you don't draw so much fluid out that you allow it to completely empty the master cylinder. Draw the fluid out of the mc, use a c-clamp to compress your brake pads on the rotor, loosen the 2 bolts on the caliper, pull the caliper with the pads off the rotor, remove the pads, install the new ones, and put it all back together. Push your brake lever in a couple of times, top off the master cylinder, compress the brake lever a couple more times, and your on your way. Don't be surprised if when you drive it, your brakes feel a little mushy at first. This will go away quickly. Check the mc fluid level after a couple of days of driving and add a little more if necessary. Last time I did this job, it took me just over an hour to do both front wheels. Nothing to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1