Changing to led's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
here is a pic of my puddle light, as you can see its slid plastic with only a removable lens somehow
ignore the blue tape I put that on there

1018101708.jpg

1018101708a.jpg

Did you figure out how to remove the lens or is it not removable? My 2007 has the same type (at least it looks like it based on your pic). I have replaced all of my lights with LEDs (including the parking, turn and brake lights) but was not sure if the bulbs were replaceable in the puddle housing.

OP
OP
M

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when all my led's come in from china I will attempt to remove the lens, either by blade or heat. I just want to make sure I have the correct lamp first. Im guessing I can glue it back on. Sucks its like that, and im praying I dont break it.

OP
OP
M

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
looks like my puddle light led's came in today. Not sure if I will attempt them yet. Some reason they look fatter then I thought, so im going to have to check to see if these are for the puddle lights or wait until the other order comes in with all my interior dome led's

either way even if I have to solder them in I will use them, the only hassle will be trying to get the puddle light open somehow without ruining them.

OP
OP
M

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Small update...
Took apart the puddle lights, its very easy to do now that I know how. At first I tried heat gun, then razor blade but nothing. I then saw through the lens that it has an internal ring. So last resort dremmel with those thin cheap cut off wheels. I melted the black housing all the way around, then used a small awl and popped the lens off. At first this was very hard, second light went very fast so its really easy now.

Here are some pics
Here is the cut and the lens popping out
1026100933.jpg

Inside shot, note lens has plastic feet that pop down to help hold in bulb
1026100933a.jpg

LED installed, slight angle to shoot light away from door
1026100935.jpg

1026100944.jpg
1026100936.jpg

Daytime view
1026101004.jpg

I used super glue to put on the lens, and I will also go around the outside too just to make certain its all glued in. Im guessing the black housing is abs, and even though I have abs super glue I used the regular stuff because im not sure what the lens is made from.

Hopefully my dome lights show up soon

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
checked them out tonight, look good. Have more light hitting the door then what I would like but its too late to do anything about that. Very bright and white and lights up good. one day I will try to get a night pic

Also they fade off so im guessing the inside ones will too, which is cool

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well all my dome light led's came in today so hopefully later tonight I can get them installed. I may attempt to take a pic using a good camera and tripod no flash so maybe it will have a long shutter speed and show the most light.

OP
OP
M

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the lights installed. The domes arent as white as my puddle and license plate but they look good. Slight blue tint but more on the white side.

PB021308.jpg

Some reason the puddle light pic looks green, but its white
PB021306.jpg

But you can tell the light color difference in the pics

I found this pic, I think the camera added more blue in the other images, this pic looks whiter
PB021313.jpg

In real life it looks really good and crisp light. Also I had the map lights on too

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
another plus to all led's is if you have bad door switches. Years ago my hatch back switch went bad and it took me a while to figure that out after having 3 dead batteries in a row. So I cut the wire, or grounded it out can remember.
Ever since I have those lights turned off on the dimmer but now I can use them again because the led's will draw such little power I dont think I run the risk of draining the battery if another door switch decides to go bad.

Grizzly2009

Reaction score
LED interior lights.

I know this is 4 years later, but I was wondering how the LED's held up and if you were happy with them long term. I am considering doing the same with my '09. I'd like to get the LED puddle lights and the LED interior lights. Are the dome lights easy to swap out? I have not looked really closely to how the lenses pop off in the back.