Changing to led's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow its been 4 years

yes I still have them installed, but be aware I may have only put on 4000 miles since then
I never drive it, so they rarely get used
may be why they all still work

dome lights are simple, the puddle lights are hard, at least on my 03
I had to cut the housing apart they are sealed inside

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow its been 4 years

yes I still have them installed, but be aware I may have only put on 4000 miles since then
I never drive it, so they rarely get used
may be why they all still work

dome lights are simple, the puddle lights are hard, at least on my 03
I had to cut the housing apart they are sealed inside

On my 04, I removed the mirror glass, and then the outer shell of the mirror, to get to the puddle lights (One of them was out when I got the truck). Wasn't too bad.. Not sure why you'd have to cut anything....

EDIT: I see that you have an XLT-- My EB also has the side directionals, probably why it was easier to get to?

OP
OP
M

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 04, I removed the mirror glass, and then the outer shell of the mirror, to get to the puddle lights (One of them was out when I got the truck). Wasn't too bad.. Not sure why you'd have to cut anything....

EDIT: I see that you have an XLT-- My EB also has the side directionals, probably why it was easier to get to?

im pretty sure this was discussed in this thread a long time ago
I can remove the light housing from outside the vehicle
no mirrors need to be popped out

the actual bulb is sealed inside the little light housing, the frosted lens is glued on
maybe its only my 03 dont know
im sure I had posted pics, and they should still be there
then you can see what im talking about

once reinstalled you will never know I had to cut them apart its all hidden

OP
OP
M

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
here is how I can pull it out of the mirror using a pick

1018101708.jpg

its all one piece the lens was originally glued on
no way to get the bulb out without cutting the black body and regluing it

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine are still good.

Yea, I think we've had this discussion before. My 03 XLT (an early build one) you just pull out the mirror, and the bulbs twist out (typical quarter turn connector). It's a 194/921 bulb. I don't have turn signals in the mirrors.

Hah, actually went back through the thread, and see that I just restated what was already discussed in detail in the first few pages. I also realized that I have different LEDs in the dome now. Not sure when I upgraded. I upgraded because my current ones are brighter, not because the old ones failed. Nowadays, you can get decently bright LEDs for pretty cheap. The technology has come a ways.

Last edited:

kawi_200

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been using this thread and my manual to figure out how to switch the bulbs for the mirrors. I just wanted to post some pictures and let future people know what I found easiest. It took me about 5min to swap the bulbs using the instructions in the owner's manual.

Use a torques screw driver, T10 I think, on the bottom inside of the mirror. Then adjust your mirror up to to the inside towards the car. Use a long screwdriver to push the clip in and lightly pull down. It should let the lens assembly drop fairly easily. Once out swap bulbs and reinstall.

On the picture of the lens note the clip location on the right/outside.

Attachments

• 20131213_114607.jpg
    20131213_114607.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20131213_114648.jpg
    20131213_114648.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 60
B

bedrck46

had no problems changing out the mirror lights on my 2001 but you may be disappointed with using leds in the mirrors during the daytime no problem but at night the leds put out so much light that you can't see yourself in the mirror But then maybe that's not a bad thing

Last lights I ordered form overseas took 6 weeks the first order was canceled by the seller due to the shipment being held by customs Was the savings really worth the wait. Won't order like that again

Opps sorry thought you were referring to the vanity mirrors

Last edited by a moderator:

kawi_200

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My friend works at Pepboys and they have some really nice Phillips bulbs that he got me a discount on. I can even see them in the daytime when I'm driving and use the signal.

Last edited: