Charge light flickers intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wahoo99a

Reaction score
My 01 5.4L charge light flickers intermittently at approx. 2000 rpm the charge light comes on and then goes off at approx. 2200 *or* 2400 rpm.
I replaced the belt thinking it might be slipping, but it continues to come on. The belt tensioner seems all right, How do you check them? It still takes a 24 inch breaker bar to move it. While I had the belt off I took the alternator to NAPA and had them bench test it, it tested ok. The battery is 2 months old.

Any ideas?

GRIP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check the connection behind the dash could be loose back there or the wires on the alt. might be loose.

OP
OP
W

Wahoo99a

Reaction score
Originally posted by GRIP
check the connection behind the dash could be loose back there or the wires on the alt. might be loose.

Thanks. I checked the alt connections and everything seems ok there. I'll check the connection behind the dash later this week. I have to go back there anyway due my truck having the disappearing odometer trick hapening.

OP
OP
W

Wahoo99a

Reaction score
Well, I decided to take the truck to a local service place to have them check the alternator in the truck. Sure enough the regulator was bad. It was working intermittently, something the bench test couldn't find since it would only get the alt. spinning so fast. They charged me $20 to run the test. Then I hit the NAPA store and installed a new unit.

I do have one question though. This is the first time I got dielectric grease in the box with the alt. Is it actually needed with the connections?

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've heard both ways on dielectric grease...people who swear by it and those who could care less or recommend against it. I dunno...

I also have the disappearing odometer on my wife's truck. I just recently noticed it.

OP
OP
W

Wahoo99a

Reaction score
Originally posted by Grasshopper
I've heard both ways on dielectric grease...people who swear by it and those who could care less or recommend against it. I dunno...

I also have the disappearing odometer on my wife's truck. I just recently noticed it.

The odometer is next on my list right after the spark plugs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire