checking coils for mis-fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano

Reaction score
Hello all, I have an 05 Expy, about 2yrs ago, I replaced all my COP's. A few weeks ago, while hauling a trailer, I got down in the 40-45 mph range (about 1200 rpm's area), when I noticed a couple "kicks" or drops of power. At first I thought it was the road, but when on a good smooth stretch, it did it again a couple times. Got to thinkin a COP is going bad.
Does any one know if I can do the power drop test on Ford COP coils? I seen on line where a mechanic has a car running, then removes the wire that goes to a coil. While doing this, you should notice a drop in the engine's rpm, you then put that wire back on and move to the next one til you find the one that doesn't make a difference in performance. '
I would like to know if anyone knows about checking the COP's that way, and if so, will I get knocked on my ass by touching that wire?
Thanks for any information,
sincerely,
dano

FordGate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just go to an autoparts store and ask them to read the codes (unless you have a code reader). That will tell you what cylinder(s) is (are) registering a misfire.

Your plan should work if the problem is not intermittent. I'd use rubber gloves though.

SPLFTW

Reaction score
I've got kinda the same problem of miss fire across the bore. And pulling coil wires is fine I tryed it with all mine to no luck but it won't shock you or anything and as of now I've changed 1 spark plugs 2 coil packs 3 fuel injectors 4 cam angle censer 5 air charge censer 6 about 4 fuel filters (and it all started after I changed my fuel tank)