Clay Bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

junior73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally used one of these for the first time, and wow what a difference! Well, at least until all the rain cropped up this week.

Only downside, it must have taken me 4 hours to do it! Not bad for 12 year old factory paint.

P2120437.jpg

P2120438.jpg

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looking good....i got one sitting in my box of detailing stuff... along with my DA buffer... weather has sucked up here.... i want at least 3 days of dry weather so I can enjoy the end results...lol

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm going to work on my detailing kit next month...ge it right with the 7424 polisher, clay bars detailing spray...

www.meguiars.com has a section that tells advises you on how often to do certain thing...e.g. how often to clay, how often to do tires...of course this is base on using their products but should be the same schedule regardless to keep your vehicle up

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im going to buy a claybar from fukken wax. but only thing is that its going to take some time! ugh! haha my paint is a mirror too. ford really did their research when they knew what to put into these paints. you dont see chevys with paint like this after 12+ years.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im going to buy a claybar from fukken wax. but only thing is that its going to take some time! ugh! haha my paint is a mirror too. ford really did their research when they knew what to put into these paints. you dont see chevys with paint like this after 12+ years.

Amen! My paint is still looking pretty good, a few scratches, but with some good detailing, I could get most of them out. I guess that will be one of my summer projects.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have sooo many scratches from anderson, but i just tell my parnets its from my aunts house. haha they have a big wall of bush on the side and my mom cant back up for :poop: so i just said its from that. haha they buy it. haha, but im hoping with some clay bar a lot of the scratches will go bye bye.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have sooo many scratches from anderson, but i just tell my parnets its from my aunts house. haha they have a big wall of bush on the side and my mom cant back up for :poop: so i just said its from that. haha they buy it. haha, but im hoping with some clay bar a lot of the scratches will go bye bye.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: My mom is the same way. When she owned the truck, she backed up into my uncles gf car, and another time was backing up to the driveway and hit the car trailer. Nothing done to the expy than a few scratches on the bumper.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my mom cant back up her new 4runner into the garage. like really? im afraid that one day im going to have to do some detailing to it, but not now! its getting a new facelift after that accident. $4700 in damage and only a $500 deductible. not to bad for a hit and run. haha

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn clay bar shouldnt take that long to do lol. Just remember if you drop the bar on the floor make sure you toss it and not use it again as it will scratch your paint really bad.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, just to clear it up, claying won't remove scratches. Claying is for cleaning the paint before a detail or wax. Usually done 2-3 times a year, or before any major detail. After claying you need to wax or seal the paint, since claying leaves the paint "bare."

Most clay is pretty much the same. Most of the consumer ones are mild. You can get more aggressive ones, though I've never really used them (or found the need to).

When you get it, make sure it cut it up into pieces (for the Megs consumer one, I cut it into 4 pieces). That way, if you happen to drop it (which will eventually happen), you're only out that piece, and not the whole bar.

Massage/knead the piece every so often to try and keep a clean section of clay on the paint. How often you do this will depend on how contaminated the paint is. The hood, front fenders, roof (if you detail the roof), and rear hatch will usually be the worst.

Usually, I keep on going over an area until the "scrapping" sound stops, though a lot of people will put their hands in a sandwich bag, and run their hands over the paint. If it catches, they keep on detailing.

Make sure to keep the surface lubricated. I try not to mist too much lubricant on their, though, because it will sometimes just glide over things you're trying to remove. But, don't run it dry as you run the risk of marring the paint.

You can use either the provided quick detailer (or any you may have) or new car wash soap (mixed per the instructions on the bottle). Just keep in mind that using car wash will be "harder" on the bar, and make it break down quicker.

As you do it more and more, you'll get practice claying. Cars usually take me 10-15 minutes to do, depending on how dirty the paint is.