Clunky noise in rear end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EXP Edition

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a 1998 Expedition XLT with coil spring suspension in the rear.

I had some clunky-ness coming from the rear and also problems handling bumps. I changed the shocks out last night. The ride is now 100% better, but now.. I hear a different clunk? I can hear it when I roll my window down and listen carefully. The smallest bump will cause a "clunk" and when I jump up and down on the back bumper I can hear it too, but I can't really tell where it's coming from.

Any ideas?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bushings? I think that's what was wrong with my roommate's Mustang. Everytime he'd go over a bump, or pushed up and down on the trunk, there was this clunking noise. Apparently the bushings had deterioated. Not sure which ones they were, but you could start with shocks and sway bars.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me

I went back and really tighten the upper nut and bolt. Noise is gone. I really need a torque wrench. Seems I either break something or leave it too loose.

OP
OP
E

EXP Edition

Reaction score
thank god I had a lift when I changed the shocks, the top of the drivers side shock is such a ***** to get to with the gas tank in the way.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thank god I had a lift when I changed the shocks, the top of the drivers side shock is such a ***** to get to with the gas tank in the way.

im glad i put my body lift on befor doing my shocks made that driver side rear much easier