cluster/dash lights and tail lights not working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ydopen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dash and cluster stopped working and I had someone tell me my tail lights wernt working either,

I ran down the fuse, put a new one in and soon as I turned on the lights they came on for a 1/2 a second and the fuse blew?

squidnut

Reaction score
Sounds like a grounded positive wire somewhere. You said it blew the fuse when you turned on the lights so my guess would be in the rear behind the taillight. If you put another fuse in without the lights on and it is fine then it doesnt seem like it is under the dash. Is the dash and taillights on the same fuse?

Last edited:

F1vel66a

Reaction score
It deffinatly sounds like a short I would start with pla,es the wire could rub ie tail lights markers ect if you dont see a problem there look at the fuse box for damage also if your running non oem headlights look at the harness they tend to melt

squidnut

Reaction score
definately a short. time to start chasing wires if you are not already. start with the short ones first and maybe you will get lucky and find it early. it is a huge pain in the a$$ to do that

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked at the wiring diagrams for my 99. Get yourself a wiring diagram to make it easier to troubleshoot. They have 12 branch circuits just on the illumination side. The tail lamps are in addition to the 12. A short on any of them will pop the fuse.

What fuse # is popping, 18?

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The advice is sound, find the fuse locations pic, find the schematics and work your way backwards to the source through the switches. ie: battery. Disconnect the headlights from the plugs and meter back.

Follow the wiring in good light and try to see if there was any after market work done. Do you see cheap black electrical tape anywhere? Anything nik'd?

Do you own a simple volt meter?

Like stamp asked, which fuse? If you're blowing 30A fuses with all of the lights unplugged your got some problems for sure. If it happens with the lights unplugged but as soon as you turn on the lights, that might tell you to look at the switch and from there to the battery.

OP
OP
ydopen

ydopen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh Lord.... I will try to fool with it this week, Ive always messed with cars from the time I was 14 but electrical wasnt my calling lol

OP
OP
ydopen

ydopen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well It went down like this= Pulled out all the marker bulbs put the fuse in. dash lights came on no problem? put the bulbs back in on each corner one at a time waiting for the fuse to blow? It didnt? I went around and wiggled all the wires before I put the houseings back in and it was fine? This was also causing a draw on the battery and had to jump it off. Now its fine?