Code P0394 - Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

david.bell.9678

Reaction score
Need some help please on a 2012 Expedition XLT 4wd - 203,000 miles

I bought this used at 24,000 miles and i believe this is the first code it has thrown since I have owned it. I replaced the camshaft position sensor and the light went off for a period of time. It seems to drive OK, meaning no engine hesitation, sputtering, etc.

After 3 - 4 days the Check Engine Light came back on and I had the code scanned again - same code again - P0394.

Here are my thoughts -
Bad sensor out of the box - doubtful
Over voltage [voltage spike] that is burning up the sensor
An intermittent wire problem, likely a worn or broken wire.

The guy at the auto parts store that did the scanning told me I could check for voltage using a multimeter, turn the key all the way on without starting the engine, and then check voltage on the connector. I did this but could not get any voltage to show. I did this on both Bank 1 and Bank 2 sensors. Same result for both, no voltage showing. Since the the Bank 1 sensor should be good, I assume I did something wrong.

Any ideas on how to proceed from here? Also what is my risk if I cannot get this resolved? Is engine damage a possibility?

I appreciate any and all thoughts/comments. I love this Expy and hope to put another 100K + on it.

Thanks,
Dave.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fact that the check engine light went off, and all was good for a few days tells me all is good with power, ground etc. Theirs probably a different way of testing, that your not doing. I'm going out on a limb here, and say replace the sensor, but with a Ford one, not a cheaper auto parts store one. And check the plug for corrosion, or loose wire. I like using a small bit of dielectric grease on all connections. Seems to help with connectivity in my situations. Try it, and let us know.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Usually it's the phasersthat cause the cam shaft light to come on after replacing them, it's not too expensive of a job if all you need is the phasers which I'm gonna assume that's all that is needed. At 200k+ I'm surprised they lasted that long to begin with... gonna estimate total repair cost at ball park $800 phasers included

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpember1990