Cold air intake questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
throttle body has been proven by MANY on this forum to not add any performance or response to the expedition

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a programmer

Shabadoo

Reaction score
A good piece of advice though-get one either way

If you can find one for $30 - $40 like Awbarrett1001 did then you may as well try it. Worst case scenario is you're out $30 - $40 and an hour of your time.

The thing with all these add-ons is that logically they should give you MPG gains but everyone's vehicle is just different enough that they don't work 100% of the time and they never all work the same i.e. one person will get +2 MPG and another +0.5. My personal opinion when it comes to MPG mods, have high hopes and low expectations, then be pleasantly surprised if it actually works as intended.

Deesko

Reaction score
Bought a 2010 Eddie Bauer with the 5.4L to use a tow vehicle. After a trip through the Shenandoah Valley & surrounding "mountains" towing our pretty hefty travel trailer (6000 lbs) I noticed a bit of a tap. Vehicle had 95k miles on it and looked like it still had stock plugs and coil packs etc so I figured I'd do a quick tune up.

New plugs, new coil packs, aftermarket MAF, K&N CAI and Edge programmer.

Set the programmer for tune level 2, which is their "towing" tune and noticed a decent improvement in torque and a minimal improvement in MPG but then also noticed a weird rattling/tapping that sounded like something between an exhaust leak and a valve tapping but only really noticed it under load (eg. in idle, didn't notice it but put it in drive you could hear it, give it gas and you can hear it more) and to varying degrees. Sometimes worse than others and seemed to be coming from behind the passenger foot well / firewall.

Removed the CAI and MAF and programmed back to stock but still had the noise, but noticed it seemed to change in intensity and thought it might have been the relearn process taking a long time to settle down, but it never did go away and seemed to recently get worse but isn't throwing any codes via the Edge ODB III reader.

Took it in yesterday and they are saying it's the catalytic converter so I'm guessing I just pushed it too hard through the mountains (there were a few times we were pushing 5500+ RPMS getting up and around the mountains) and my less than exciting results from the CAI/MAF etc were more to do with the cat going bad than any sort of issue with the products and the Ford computer.

Now I'm on the lookout for a new reasonably priced exhaust system, including a cat, and once that's done I'll try throwing the CAI and MAF back on and re-tuning it.

Mrjonathon

Reaction score
I want thinking of switching to a snorkel.

Have any of you tried that out? Seems like a good idea to pull the air from outside instead of the engine bay/tire well area. Supposedly it’s better for the filters as well.

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the 5.4 no intake mods are needed has a snorkel to bring fresh air in already threw factory inlets ( cold air uses smoother tubes )-waste of money
K&N filter extra charge oil clogs MAF sensor- AC delco filter cleanest flows the best
Headers look pretty but stock ones flow just as good
Muffler/cats sounds good but does nothing really
Programmer is best $ spent dollar for dollar use caned tunes or get a custom tune from 5 Star tuning

Look at f150 forums for the input and money spent. Look at f250/350 they go over hp/$ and mpg/$ ( at the end of the day $ spent vs miles driven/length of time plan on Owen the truck

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the 5.4 no intake mods are needed has a snorkel to bring fresh air in already threw factory inlets ( cold air uses smoother tubes )-waste of money
K&N filter extra charge oil clogs MAF sensor- AC delco filter cleanest flows the best
Headers look pretty but stock ones flow just as good
Muffler/cats sounds good but does nothing really
Programmer is best $ spent dollar for dollar use caned tunes or get a custom tune from 5 Star tuning

Look at f150 forums for the input and money spent. Look at f250/350 they go over hp/$ and mpg/$ ( at the end of the day $ spent vs miles driven/length of time plan on Owen the truck
May not be needed but I did see increase in MPG... that's fact for me

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With 0% change in driving habits ( how hard/fast peddle pushed, stoping ) true MPG tank of gas’s gallon vs odometer miles not a lie o meter

That’s not something I have read about yet. Good job on achieving the improvement in MPG