Common location for intake mani to crack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4evrnyt

Reaction score
Few months back I was having an odd problem of losing coolant but not being able to find a leak. However the problem appeared to self resolve. Woohoo!

Until last week when I was driving down the road and all of a sudden my check engine light and oil temp light flicked on catching my attention and then I noticed my water temp gauge was also pegged. After getting towed home I discovered I had a pool of coolant hanging out under my intake manifold.

Figuring I have a cracked manifold I just went through the joyous process of removing it but I'll be damned if I cant find anywhere that the thing is compromised. From the coolant stain in the engine galley it appears as though the leak originated on the thermostat side of the manifold but alas I can find nothing.

Should I still assume its the manifold and replace it and cross my fingers after putting it back in or is there a more likely culprit like...gulp...a head gasket? Possible that there is a crack that I'm just not seeing, I checked the intake manifold gaskets and they look intact?

Thanks for the help in advance.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theirs a hose that runs under the rear of intake that fails, or the fitting it attaches to goes bad. Definitely change your intake, Ford oem one is your best bet. The aftermarket ones are hit and miss on quality. Change all the hoses unless recently done, including upper/lower radiator hoses. Use proper sealer on gaskets, and be very very careful torquing down the new manifold. It's plastic and easy to crack/snap. Get a repair CD Ford type, their about $16.00 online, and go at it. Many videos online to help.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP

4evrnyt

Reaction score
Turned out to be the metal heater hose that runs under the intake manifold. Didn't notice it until I had already replaced the intake manifold and fired it up. Oh well, I'm really good at taking the intake off now! Because of the known problem with the original cracking I decided to just keep the replacement.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Amazing how fast you can r&r a part when you've done it a few times.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk