Condensation build up in oil fill tube..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems to be weather related....Took off the oil cap to feed my oil eaten beast and found some milky oil on the cap and the tube. It does this time to time in the warmer months too but more so in the winter. Nothing in the pan though...so I hope I didnt miss it.

I use lucas and have seen that it can foam turning that color. Next oil change I wont use it to see if thats it.
What can I do to flash the oil system of the motor? Im not even sure it can be done or shouldn't? I got some sludge build up too........

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I understand it, the milky oil near the cap is caused by short trips that don't let the motor (and oil) to fully warm up to dry out the condensation, which then accumulates at the cap. This happens more so in the colder months.

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have heard that as well....but its even there after a 2 hour drive. Im going to look into flushing it out. I got 225k on it and it might be a good time to drop the pan to take a look and clean. I got a odd knock on the low end anyways sooo got to do it...but dont think its related. Going to post on that now too.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might want to check your head gaskets. The milky white on the cap is an indicator of a leaking head gasket. Esp since it is there even after a long trip. Do a good flush, and if it's still there, I would look to the gaskets.

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stoned06, I thought that to. But there are no other signs to go with it. I guess Im just getting to that magic number miles where everything starts to break down.
With these little things that are starting to surface maybe I should start planning for a motor overhaul.

Im wondering if I can do it and reach everything without pulling the motor out?

Till then I hope the starting to break down doesnt turn to broke!

ecqm8000

Reaction score
The white/yellow is water/coolant. However, it may not be a terrible thing. Longer trips, the oil is above 220 degrees and the water is steamed off (and vacuumed out by the PCV valve. Short winter trips when there is plenty of moisture around CAN cause thiis condition. What year (99 head gasket) is your rig? I just bought my Expo, but I looked at 30ish rigs. About half those had the yellow/white ****, yet the dip sticks showed normal. The truck I bought had the problem. An oil change and new PCV valve is now complete and I will watch for problems.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was told that was normal. I get it during the winter but don't have any leaks or anything and my oil is normal color. By winter, I mean when it is below 20 degrees.

drtj

Reaction score
Mine does it too. I just clean it out after an oil change & keep rocking