Constant power to accessory plugs a problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smithrep

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what they do about the cigarette lighter plugs keeping power? I have my gps plugged into mine, along with my cellphone cord, and I swear I don't want to have to unplug them both everyday when I get out of the car. I used to have a 95 mustang and left my radar detector plugged in and it didn't drain the battery. I'm scared these will though. Especially since I don't drive it every single day.
Thanks.
David

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
What year is the truck?

Check all the cigarette lighter outlets, some are "power ports" that are constant, others may be regular switched outlets.

OP
OP
S

smithrep

Reaction score
it is an 03, and both outlets at front (cigarette and power plug) keep power constant. I wonder why Ford did this?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but I actually like it. Don't need to key to keep something running.

Either way, here's some things you can do.

1) Wire a switch

2) Hardwire the items (or at least the power supplies) to something that isn't constantly hot

3) Put in a relay?

Here is the screw you have to remove in order to have access to the front center console (sorry about the dirtiness, spilled something):
SNV35720.jpg

It's under the rubber "mat." It's either a 10 or 7, can't remember. From there, you can see the wires going to the 12V power point and cig lighter.

Last edited:

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 03 too, and I've pretty sure the cigarette lighter power will turn off after 15 minutes of no doors being opening or the locks being touched. This is how the lights work, and by automatically turning off after 15 minutes it has saved me a dead battery or 2.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to have my radar detector (before it was hardwired to a switched power source) taking power from the wire the leads to the 12V power point. Both the 12V power point and the cig lighter both take power from the same two wires. My radar detector would still stay on, even after a couple hours of operation.

The lights do turn off, though I usually have them switched off. Granted, I have LEDs, so they draw less power, either way.