Could it be the voltage regulator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordfangirl4life

Reaction score
I have a 2001 expedition, 5.4 Triton, 2we. After replacing the alternator, battery and battery cables, all interior and exterior lights "flicker", for lack of a better word. They rapidly get bright then dim. On absolutely clear nights it's not really an issue, however, I live in north Georgia where absolutely clear nights are not the norm, could it be the voltage regulator?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What brand alternator did you use, and what amperage ? Did this fluctuation start just after the new alternator install ?

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you monitor the voltage output when it's running? See what it reads from odb port. I had replaced one in an escape this year and it was bad and overcharged. Would shut down dash and other problems. That one you have to remove axle and motor mount to change. Will only do new Motorcraft in that vehicle. Expy is a piece of cake, so with the risk for reman.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arent the voltage regs internal on stock and replacement alts? i had the option and got internal reg for my 370 alt