Dash/Center Console Tear Down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoop33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone rip theirs apart yet and/ or have a link to a How To?

I need to get into hiding some wires for accessories and want to make it as clean as possible but don't wanna destroy a brand new vehicle like I would normally do with a used one.

For reference, I have a USB plugged Dash Cam I wanna mount just under the mirror, run the power wire up and thru the electronics for GPS etc, around the headliner/ windshield down the pillar and across and under the steering column to the center counsel and hopfully into the center armrest chest to plug in... soooo Imma need a little guidance, Oh Wise Ones.

expeditiondriver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could tap the mirror power plug as an alternative; there are several plugs offered on Amazon that provide a USB slot right there at the mirror. Try searching for SimpleUSB Mirror to Dashcam Adapter.

Does anybody know what plug type the mirror uses? I am not sure if it's a 10 pin Type A, 10 Pin Type B or something else.

OP
OP
Yoop33

Yoop33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could tap the mirror power plug as an alternative; there are several plugs offered on Amazon that provide a USB slot right there at the mirror. Try searching for SimpleUSB Mirror to Dashcam Adapter.

Does anybody know what plug type the mirror uses? I am not sure if it's a 10 pin Type A, 10 Pin Type B or something else.

[emoji848] not sure which to mess with... but there isn’t that pin outlet on the back of the mirror like there used to be
Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

expeditiondriver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmmmm.....

Well, for the sake of posterity, my lowly XLT does have a plug and it's apparently a 16-pin. The company I listed above just messaged me back stating they are going to release it in early 2020 for Fords.

With respect to your photo, you might check out tapping into a few of the wires. There are some threads on the F150 forums about this, and/or the company that makes BlendMounts for radar detectors also has mirrortap options, which are just pins that slide into the appropriate pins you see inside your housing.

I'm also in the process of installing a dash cam, thus had this subject on my brain.

OP
OP
Yoop33

Yoop33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I recently ordered, received and attempted to install the Donger Technologies two pronged voltage adapter (Mini-USB) and followed the wiring provided by @Bow512 on his radar thread.
While the wiring powered up the camera, it only worked when the accessory was on and not at all while the truck was off.
Does anyone know if any other wires in the mirror/ camera area will keep power on while the truck is off?

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/radar-detector-mirror-wiring.36557/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R7JGCL1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1