Dead at the Dealership Parking Lot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephanSloan

Reaction score
The world's best 2008 Expedition EL (216k miles) that never lets us down was a little hard to start this morning. It started then stumbled and stalled. It immediately restarted and ran fine after that.
Funny thing, I stopped at the parts department at the dealership to pick up a new transmission dipstick and when I came out it wouldn't start.
When I turn the key everything is normal and then it begins to turn over for a split second and then stops and the voltage gauge goes to zero.
I did not have time to check for a code. I'm (wild) guessing it is the starter.
The lady at the service desk though it was hilarious that the car broke down for the first time in 13 years in the parking lot and I must agree. However, I'm now told it will be "several days before they can even look at it" so I am considering having it towed home and having a go at it.
Are there any recommendation for things to check? Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated.
Stephan

Last edited:

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Obvious things first, check battery voltage, if good get it load tested just to rule out a bad/failing cell that has hit a few of us lately it seems. Check cables and grounds for breaks and/or corrosion.

I've read in the past where someone having a similar issue ended up having a bad alternator. This was a few years back and don't recall the details or where I stumbled across it. I was reading up on a few thing for my father in laws truck, before I got mine.

Have you ever had issues with a key or the pats system? I wouldn't initially suspect something there but if all else fails its not too hard to troubleshoot and would cause a no start condition similar to what you describe.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had something like that happen and it was the battery. The Expy ran fine once jumped, but the battery wouldn't hold a charge and was dead once I shut it off.

Unless you have a new battery, start simple and go from there.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

outdare

Reaction score
Had this happen to me when a fuel pump that went south on me.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Twice in two weeks.
2 weeks ago my truck wouldn’t turn over in the parking lot of my hotel on my way to a sales meeting at a Ford dealer. Got to dealer. Battery plus starter.

Last week just blocks away from another meeting at a Ford customer of mine my battery figure lights up on my dash. Alternator.

My truck knows if it ****** me off again she goes to the crusher. *****.

OP
OP
S

StephanSloan

Reaction score
Friends-
Thanks for this good guidance. I will try your suggestions to spring the good truck this afternoon and report back my success.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Bet the dealer said "Well, you needed the battery and starter anyway". What a dealer!

I know I did. But I thought I had more time. I’m on road so much it doesn’t pay to take chances. This week alone I’m over 600 miles w 200 to go.