Dead at the Dealership Parking Lot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

StephanSloan

Reaction score
Dealership called before I was able to get back to the truck and explained the following:

The belt tensioner was "bent back" and the air-conditioning compressor pulley was damaged which also damaged the belt. To replace those items it would be a minimum of $1,426 and then they would check for additional items.

It appears the problem was a seized AC.

I have an immediate response to this but am curious if I am off base.

What say you all?

With thanks for your time and attention,
Stephan

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealership called before I was able to get back to the truck and explained the following:

The belt tensioner was "bent back" and the air-conditioning compressor pulley was damaged which also damaged the belt. To replace those items it would be a minimum of $1,426 and then they would check for additional items.

It appears the problem was a seized AC.

I have an immediate response to this but am curious if I am off base.

What say you all?

With thanks for your time and attention,
Stephan

What is your immediate response?

OP
OP
S

StephanSloan

Reaction score
What is your immediate response?

I am disappointed and reminded about why I don't trust the dealership. The invitation to authorize $1,400+ was not a solution but an interim step. I think the tensioner and belt are sub $100 parts and less than an hour of labor. That leaves $1,100+ for an AC compressor.

I just rechecked 23andMe and am reminded that my ancestry is near 99% Scotch. I'm literally genetically incapable of responding in any other way than spitting in my hands, raising the black flag and screaming freedom.

I am also wondering if I can pull the center bolt from the AC clutch and go on my way.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I would say tell them to go F*&^ themselves. Go see the GM and tell him you're trading in for a Chevy and you're telling all your friends, chat boards, forums, etc. That when you get done he'll see his gross drop faster than a ho who is flashed with a $20 bill.

Thats the Cuban in me.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Surely this had to make some noise when it happened. I've lost a tensioner and supercharger belt before and it was chaos under the hood. Sliced partially through engine harness, lost my serpentine belt as well when they tangled, the screeching, shuddering, were probably evident at 100 yards away.

Tensioner can be a decent chunk, no idea what ours run but I paid $100+ for the one on my regal iirc. I went oem and local because I needed it quick, likely could have been had cheaper. Belts ran me another $100. Labor at shop rates goes up fast. Still a ton of $ to outlay without a second opinion or seeing for yourself however.

RobE

Reaction score
Depending on how quickly you need your vehicle back is how I would look at it. If you will loose money every hour your vehicle is disabled, pay the dealership. If you can go without the vehicle for a period of time, tow it home and find the parts online and do the work yourself.

OP
OP
S

StephanSloan

Reaction score
The seize of the AC Compressor apparently happened while parked. As a result I believe it was the energy of the starter and me trying to start the engine that caused the damage.
I can get by without the truck for now and am making arrangement for it to be towed to my home. I am interested in seeing the bent tensioner and damaged belt.
Updates as situations warrant...

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fix it yourself. Had to be a hell of a thing, bending a tensioner. Sure, they will lose tension over time, but bending? I'd have to see that for myself..

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take the belt off and see if you can spin the compressor. If you can’t, I well, they ain’t lying. If you can fix it yourself, you can start it up long enough to immediately drive on a trailer. I wouldn’t drive it anywhere though.

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had something similar happen last year. AC Compressor seized, belt was shrieking (but did not bend the tensioner). Took the belt off, drove it 2 miles to a shop and had the entire AC system replaced for around $1300 I think.