Dealer can't program pat key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kk4yvx

Reaction score
I have a 06 expy 4wd (53,000 miles)
I just bought the truck about a month and a half ago. It was a police k-9 truck. All police equipment was removed.
The truck came with one key and a fob. I took the key to the hardware store where they told me they don't have blanks because the key for my truck has a chip.
So to the Ford dealer I go. That was monday morning. The next day the dealership called me because they say they tried to program the 2 new uncut keys I gave them(bought on eBay) but could not. It turns out that the one key I gave them(the one that came with the truck) DOES NOT have a chip. Apparently the police made changes to the system so that they can use an unlimited number of keys with no chips.
Now the dealership cannot even get the truck to start with the key that came with it and they say they are waiting for help from a company that specializes in vehicle alarms.
My question is this : who will be responsible for all this extra labor? Me or the dealer?
I had agreed to pay the $75 when I first dropped off the truck, but now they have been mentioning extra labor.
I could have had the key cut at the hardware store for $3.!!! And in 2 minutes. Today is wednsday and they still have'nt figured it out yet.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would say it is your nickel. Would you expect them to know the system has been modified without being warned about the changes? They are going in assuming no changes have been made and that it is a stock system. It would be a different story had they been warned prior to working on it.
Might try getting in touch with the maintenance facility that the police use and see what changes they make to police vehicles.

emtmark

Reaction score
All our ambulances get the same treatment (also fords) we lose keys like crazy. Can't even imagine how much it would cost to buy or make all those rfid keys. You can always pay the 75$ and ask for the car back but with it now not starting and what sounds like the computer in full rebellion it might be better to let them run with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a locksmith and personally I probably program anywhere from 2-10 keys a day and one thing that is required (at least for us) is that key must have cuts in it and it must work in the ignition in order for our machine to program the chip to the computer. Normally we charge about $125 for a basic "chip" key to be cut using the VIN and then programmed to the car or truck. Pretty sure we beat most dealers prices (at least around here) on the keys cut and programmed. Also if you do get them cut there are OBP (on-board-programming) options for most vehicles that allow you to basically turn the key a few times waiting some time in between each turn and that will program the key to the car/truck.

OP
OP
Kk4yvx

Kk4yvx

Reaction score
A few minutes after I submited my post, the dealership called me, and this is what they said:
Someone from the specialized alarm company worked on the truck and found out that the circuit from the ignition to the starter was open in 3 places. I will not be charged for that work because they said the dealership was not charged. So tomorrow morning they will give me an estimate on how much it is going to cost to bypass what the police did and run a wire from the ignition system to the starter. This way they will be able to program the pat2 keys.
I'll find out how much it will cost.
I think that, being a dealership that works on police cars, they should have know that programing the keys would be an issue. But that's just my opinion.

Attachments

• tmp_31177-20150614_1224001712285258.jpg
    tmp_31177-20150614_1224001712285258.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 54

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the PATS has been bypassed/disabled, can't you just go pick up your truck and then pay for a non-chipped copy at essentially any shop that makes keys? Honestly, no one is going to steal an '06 Expedition.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I understand that some municipalities don't want pats and I believe some years it was available disabled fromt the dealer. I had two former police Crown Vics and one had two keys when I got it so I don't know they other didn't have pats. They usually have one key for the whole car(not a separate key for the trunk).

I don't understand if it was disabled why you would need to have chipped keys. And if it was not why they couldn't program new keys.

FYI I know this doesn't help OP but if you have two keys you can program additional keys without any equipment. I have bought original Lincoln keys on ebay cut with a pic I emailed the locksmith of an existing key for 2 different vehicles for like $20 a key

OP
OP
Kk4yvx

Kk4yvx

Reaction score
If the PATS has been bypassed/disabled, can't you just go pick up your truck and then pay for a non-chipped copy at essentially any shop that makes keys? Honestly, no one is going to steal an '06 Expedition.
The truck now won't start after their failed attempt to program pats

OP
OP
Kk4yvx

Kk4yvx

Reaction score
I understand that some municipalities don't want pats and I believe some years it was available disabled fromt the dealer. I had two former police Crown Vics and one had two keys when I got it so I don't know they other didn't have pats. They usually have one key for the whole car(not a separate key for the trunk).

I don't understand if it was disabled why you would need to have chipped keys. And if it was not why they couldn't program new keys.

FYI I know this doesn't help OP but if you have two keys you can program additional keys without any equipment. I have bought original Lincoln keys on ebay cut with a pic I emailed the locksmith of an existing key for 2 different vehicles for like $20 a key
No one knew Pats was disabed, only after the dealership tried to program it and failed , which made it impossible to start thr truck with any key.
They said they will run a wire directly from the ignition to the starter. I said let's do that, start the truck , and then no need t program the pats.
I am waiting for them to call.
What could have been a 2 minute-$3 job at the local hardware store has now taken 4 days and still counting...:)

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay I get it. Truck was purchased with pats delete so there is no pats module. Dealer programmed key in computer which now cannot read key and their solution is to bypass pats entirely. Or something to that affect.

Some vehicles the fuel delivery is part of pats as well. I have no idea if these trucks are starter only or fuel as well. But if so jumping the starter will not fix the issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik