Dexos Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s not an advertising gimmick, it’s a different additive package designed to help reduce oil consumption. No reason it shouldn’t work just fine in your truck. Motorcraft oil is API SM, that Havoline is SN, so it meets specifications.
Given all that, why not order the Motorcraft oil through Amazon for $27.99 for the 5-quart if you have a couple of weeks?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil should b changed at 5k mile intervals. Idk who told u 10k
From the 2017 Owner's Manual

Protecting Your Investment

Maintenance is an investment that pays
dividends in the form of improved
reliability, durability and resale value. To
maintain the proper performance of your
vehicle and its emission control systems,
make sure you have scheduled
maintenance performed at the designated
intervals.

Your vehicle is equipped with the
Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor system, which
displays a message in the information
display at the proper oil change interval.
This interval may be up to one year or
10000 miles (16000 kilometers).

When the oil change message appears in
the information display, it is time for an oil
change. Make sure you perform the oil
change within two weeks or 500 miles
(800 kilometers) of the message
appearing. Make sure you reset the
Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor after each oil
change. See Oil Change Indicator Reset
(page 245).

If your information display resets
prematurely or becomes inoperative, you
should perform the oil change interval at
six months or 5000 miles (8000
kilometers) from your last oil change.
Never exceed one year or 10000 miles
(16000 kilometers) between oil change
intervals.

Expedition007

Reaction score
I bought 5w30 motorcraft at my local Walmart in Nashville... they had both 5w20 and 5w30 in 1 or 5qt, red containers. Bought my motorcraft filter there as well.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the 2017 Owner's Manual

Protecting Your Investment

Maintenance is an investment that pays
dividends in the form of improved
reliability, durability and resale value. To
maintain the proper performance of your
vehicle and its emission control systems,
make sure you have scheduled
maintenance performed at the designated
intervals.

Your vehicle is equipped with the
Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor system, which
displays a message in the information
display at the proper oil change interval.
This interval may be up to one year or
10000 miles (16000 kilometers).

When the oil change message appears in
the information display, it is time for an oil
change. Make sure you perform the oil
change within two weeks or 500 miles
(800 kilometers) of the message
appearing. Make sure you reset the
Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor after each oil
change. See Oil Change Indicator Reset
(page 245).

If your information display resets
prematurely or becomes inoperative, you
should perform the oil change interval at
six months or 5000 miles (8000
kilometers) from your last oil change.
Never exceed one year or 10000 miles
(16000 kilometers) between oil change
intervals.

While you *can* change it at 10k, it’s still the maximum mileage and wear the oil can take.... not ideal. Those oil life monitors are not as Intelligent as they tell us they are, plus over 10k Miles your bound to be low on level. If you do so decide to wait 10k for the change I’d recommend looking at the oil they drain, it will be jet black and probably low. Taking a look at what comes out is probably enough reason to change it earlier IMO.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Here in the East, Walmart carries Motorcraft oil, usually in 5W 20 and 5W 30 at low prices. You can also get it quick on Amazon and also Rock Auto I believe. I generally use Mobil 1.

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-about/

The most current dexos1™ specification (dexos1™ Gen 2) was released in 2015 to provide even higher engine performance and protection, particularly low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) protection in small displacement turbo-charged engines.

Any oil meeting the Ford spec will be fine, which is prob about 99.9% of oil on the shelf. (unless your at the dollar store)

I use Castrol Magnatech and have been happy with it. I think it's like 17.99 for a 5qt jug at wall mart.

OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe a dump question but shall ask anyway.

Oil change for a 2017 is scheduled at 10K miles. I get a 'free' oil change when that mile is reached. But in the mean time (mid time) I am going to change the oil (myself) at the 5K point. Hard to believe but I can't find the Motorcraft 5w-30 'blend' oil? I find the 5w-20 but not the 30. But, I can find the Quaker State but it has a label of DEXOS on it which is a GM label. Should I stay away from this 'label' oil?

Just to reiterate, Trying to find the MOTORCRAFT brand of syn/blend oil in the 5w-30 weight is difficult here in the N.E. Georgia area. 5w-20 is no problem...but not the 30. I can find other brands but ALL OF THEM SAY High Mileage. I really need to just go ahead and buy the Dexos one I saw and do the oil change at the 5K. Then when the 10K comes let the dealer do the 'free' oil change. Then afterwards I will do my own 5K-7.5K oil change which I will do with full synthetic oil.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Maybe a dump question but shall ask anyway.

Oil change for a 2017 is scheduled at 10K miles. I get a 'free' oil change when that mile is reached. But in the mean time (mid time) I am going to change the oil (myself) at the 5K point. Hard to believe but I can't find the Motorcraft 5w-30 'blend' oil? I find the 5w-20 but not the 30. But, I can find the Quaker State but it has a label of DEXOS on it which is a GM label. Should I stay away from this 'label' oil?
5W20 syn-blend, is the Ford industry standard. Why are you searching for 5w30? Dexos is also syn blend, made/approved to to GM spec. Don't mess around with a new engine. Your Oil life monitor, is just a guide. Dealers hate giving the "free" oil changes. They want you to come back when other things are needed, like inspections or tire rotation. I encountered the same thing at the Lincoln dealer. I was at 6 months, with break in oil and it still wasn't ready. They actually argued with me about it. I insisted and they pulled it the back. I walked around to see into shop. I never saw them changing the oil. They told me they don't give receipts, with the free oil changes, that is was "in the computer". I think they scammed me and did nothing. I then went out and bought the oil and filter and did myself. My father had the same issue with his oil change on his Toyota. They told him, it wasn't needed. That made me wonder if special "break in" oil is used. I have been using full synthetic and change mine once a year. I own 3 vehicles and none get driven more than 4,000mi.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While you *can* change it at 10k, it’s still the maximum mileage and wear the oil can take.... not ideal. Those oil life monitors are not as Intelligent as they tell us they are, plus over 10k Miles your bound to be low on level. If you do so decide to wait 10k for the change I’d recommend looking at the oil they drain, it will be jet black and probably low. Taking a look at what comes out is probably enough reason to change it earlier IMO.

I was just responding to Jski's question who told North Georgia to change the oil at 10,000 miles.

I made my first oil change at 1000 miles, and I'm changing it again at 6,000 miles (which I'm short of by a couple hundred miles) and every 5,000 miles thereafter.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don't have to use Motorcraft oil. Any 5w-30 will work. Ive used Castrol and Mobil 1 in my 17 EL

I do think the oil life monitor is somewhat intelligent. An example being just this past weekend. We went camping and brought our toy hauler loaded to the max which was probably in the 8500-9000lb range. It was 300 miles round trip. When we left the oil life was at 33% and when we returned and I got home it was at 24%. No way just normal driving for 300 miles would the monitor have dropped 9%. It knew I was pulling a load and was taxing the motor there for it adjusted. IMO that's somewhat intelligent. By the way at 33% I only had 4400 miles since my last oil change and I use full synthetic. I don't think the monitors are designed to allow you to go 7000-10000 miles before a change. I think with full synthetic 5000 is a good number to change oil at

Last edited: