Dexos Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 4.6l has 5w30 on the cap and the manual. I was told by dealer that a Ford TSB was issued, allowing 5w20 in engines labeled 5w30. However, I always ask for 5W30. I was given 5w20(by a Ford dealer) and it burned off almost a quart between changes. The insisted they put it in everything, with no issues. Who knows?

The 19- years old oil change tech with 3 weeks experience surely knows more than the Ford engineers that designed the engine........

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twice, the Ford dealer where I purchased my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 new, installed 5W20 oil in my engine (5W30 required). I made them change it again - although I suspect the could have put 5W20 in it again.

The service advisor said the first time that the techs were accustomed to using 5W20. The second time the advisor said there was "no way" the tech would do that - although it was listed on the invoice (customer pay).

A third time, the correct oil was used (according to the invoice) - but the tech overfilled the crankcase by two quarts. When I got home and checked the oil, I quickly discovered the overfill. I returned to the dealer and had them change it again.

I have undergone several major surgeries and I can no longer change the oil + filter myself. I am frustrated by the lack of concern by the Ford dealer techs.
Not sure where you live because your Sig just says USA, but is there more than one dealer in the area? I guess that I have been lucky with our dealership here in Fort Wayne. They seem pretty conscientious.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The exact reason I never go to a dealer for service or any where for that matter. I visit a dealer only for warranty work or recalls. I'll change my own fluids in whatever automobile I have for as long as I'm able to do it. Once I cant do it anymore I'll have one of my 2 sons come and do it for me.

Hell by then I'll probably own a battery powered car and there wont be any fluids to change

old codger

Reaction score
I seen j ski talk about cleaning the intake manifold map sensor, anyone know where it is and if you could post a picture of it. Also, I use nothing but mobil 1, ran across an independent review of oil and only 2 oils were rated high for use in a live sump. Figure if it is good enough for my bike it will work good in vehicles. That being said I also go a couple thousand miles past 5000, monitoring the engine oil for color change.

nonsense

Reaction score
I wonder what 3000 NYC Cab miles is in hours compared to say 3000 highway miles. I'm guessing lots of idling and stop & go traffic will wear all components faster than the average vehicle.

Really there's only one way to be sure how long a given engine can go with a given oil. https://www.blackstone-labs.com

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drove cabs for over 10 years, and saw how abusive cab drivers were on our crown victorias. The sad part was the oil wasn't changed at 5to 7.5 k intervals. Sometimes the oil in one of the cabs was so dirty, it looked like coal. Amazingly the motors 4.6 liters went over 250k some all the way to the 350k cutoff. That's where the city made us take the vehicles out of service. Can you imagine how long the motors would have gone with full synthetic, and some sort of service intervals!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Battery coolant, isn't that called electrolyte! Every look in a parts catalog for a upper or lower hose for a air cooled Volkswagen or Corvair? Takes a little doing!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65