differences between XLT vs EB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctniners

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If we were to put side by side a 2001 XLT and EB.
Both 4 x4, both with tow package and both 5.4L engines and both with leather seats.

What are the differences between the two? I tried to search the web but i cannot get a true breakdown of the two, so what better place to ask than here.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not an expert on it, although, If I were to guess it's about what comes standard. the EB likely has most of the features standard whereas the xlt is more custom picked by the original owner. similar to how on my buick lesabre. there were two trims, custom and limited. custom had very little options standard but almost all options that were standard on the limited were available for the custom. aside for a select few that were only avail on the limited.

OP
OP
C

ctniners

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So are we talking about cosmetic differences?...like stereo systems...or body colo trim...etc

rollavvti06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heated seats, compass / temp gauge,digital climate control, power pedals, rear pop out windows ... thats all i can think of

OP
OP
C

ctniners

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks....didnt know about the rear pop up windows...i thought that was standard to all Expeditions...kind of like that option since i will be hauling almost 300 lbs worth of dogs! In the back

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks....didnt know about the rear pop up windows...i thought that was standard to all Expeditions...kind of like that option since i will be hauling almost 300 lbs worth of dogs! In the back

hmmm pop out windows :popcorn:

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Given the age - the price difference between an XLT and EB is negligible. I would not get an XLT as the EB will always have more features.

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The EB is covered with that horrid gold trim!!!

Besides that, just minor luxury interior differences.

srs7324

Reaction score
I have a 5.4L loaded XLT with leather and the only options I wish I had from a EB, is the roll out rear windows and amped subwoofer in the cargo bay. I bought my son a 99 EB with a 4.6L and the electronic fuel, mileage gauge never worked correctly and the steering wheel cover was shot.

The XLT came with a sturdy foam padded steering wheel, which I covered with a stitched leather and looks great.
The EB had a slightly padded leather steering wheel and it has falling apart and would almost have to be replaced to look good again.

OP
OP
C

ctniners

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats one thing i have noticed especially with this generation of expeditions.....usually (not always) the XLT seems to be in better cosmetic shape..the EB i have seen tend to have.leather seats with rips, steering wheels really worned out....couple of the EB i have seen had damaged soonroofs....issue is if a seller has a mint EB he/she will be asking at the very least $500 -$700 more than the XLT which again at this age the extra money could be used for other things....it sound silly but i do like the back windows option in the EB...but not for $500 + more...

Also....did i read correctly that the EB comes with Air Suspension and most people feel that it is a pain to fix so they rather the springs in a XLT....im not a mechanic so i could be wrong

Last edited: