Dilema: Keep 07 EL or find an Excursion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndpuckhead

Reaction score
I've been struggling with what to do with my 07 EL. Until recently I haven't had to tow much so it hasn't been an issue, but I bought a 25' TT (6000 GVWR). I've pulled it for a 4-hour trip and it was ok. I'm planning on going from Michigan to Bristol TN in August and am not sure if I will have enough truck. It has 102K miles on it with a HD tow package and a load leveling hitch.

My main concern is tearing out the transmission in the mountains. Would I be OK, or should I look for a Diesel Excursion? I only plan on a trip south like this maybe once or twice a year. Are there mods I can make that will help? I have looked into a supercharger, but don't like the idea of having to run Premium fuel. As of now, its factory stock with no mods. Any input is appreciated.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you were ready to shell out the money to charge the truck, then I would recommend a programmer. Edge makes a good one that a lot of people use here. If you have the HD Towing Package, you should have an external transmission cooler. This makes a huge difference. I would say you will be ok, you just won't be setting any land speed records...

A programmer will let you monitor trans and engine temp, optimize the tune in the PCM for towing, and many other fun things. I would get one if I had the extra dough.

OP
OP
ndpuckhead

ndpuckhead

Reaction score
Thanks, I forgot to mention I do have a SCT 3 programmer, it just has the generic tune for the truck, though. Should I call and have them make a custom tune or keep the pre programmed one?

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I could afford an Excursion, I would have bought one.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII Using Tapatalk2

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I will say if you can afford the diesel excursion (somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 grand) pick it up. But the Expy should hold its own.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i'm bias and i love my excursion.

that said it would be cheaper to mod your current truck to meet your needs then to find another.

OP
OP
ndpuckhead

ndpuckhead

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. My plan is to hang on to the EL for now and see how it does. My main concern was breaking something but it seems as long as I am easy on it it will be fine. Since a haul over 4 hours will be rare and a trip through the mountains will probably be only once a year, hopefully I can mod my current truck a bit to make it work.

cherokeexj32

Reaction score
same boat

I am in the same boat as you are.

But I have an 03 which is down on horsepower even more.

I just towed my 28' (approx 6k) trailer for the first time loaded last weekend and it did ok, and it DEFINITELY did not break any land speed records. I have my WDH to the last setting and I feel the trailer is still sitting probably 2" too low still.

So we are considering either moving up to an 07 Expedition to get more HP at least, or shopping for an E350 or Excursion.

I have looked at MANY trucks so far and a lot of both types of vehicles have lots of bottom of the door rust, bumper rust, etc and some dealers still think that they have mint trucks and they are WAY overpriced.

Please keep us updated on what you do to mod your truck. I wish there was some type of device SOMEONE would make to give us X owners maybe 100llb more of tongue capacity!

OP
OP
ndpuckhead

ndpuckhead

Reaction score
Well, I made it to Bristol and back with no issues! As far as the weight, I couldn't even tell it was back there. After the tune up and SCT tune, I added a K&N CAI and a Scan Gauge II, and a Prodigy P2 brake controller. I would have liked another 50 HP, and some more torque for the mountains, but for once or twice a year over them the EL will do fine. Engine temps were around 195-205 in the flat and went as high as 219 on a steep hill where the RPM's were 4500 for a little while doing 45 mph with the pedal to the floor. That was only once or twice though. Trans temps were around the same, with 218 being the highest, but it was mostly 200-205 in the mountains. I switched back and forth between D & OD, taking it out of OD if it shifted too much, but I liked keeping the RPM's down if I could. It took 12 hrs of driving, we took a couple days to get there to make for a more leisurely trip. All in all it was a great trip and can't wait to do it next year!

Here are a couple brag pics,lol :

Stayed in KY the first night