Is there an easy way to identify towing package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HugoSchmidt

Reaction score
New member, I tried to find the answer but have had no success. I have a 2007 Eddie Bauer edition. I am fairly sure it has the towing package, but I don't know for sure.

I read the owners manual, but the manual is generic for all trims.

1) is there an easy way to identify if this came out of the factory with the towing package
2) if I plan on upgrading to a 2015 EL, is there a way to identify the 2015 has the tow package built in?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can have a Ford dealer service or parts department run the two vehicle’s VIN’s through their system to see what equipment they have.

I bought a new 2015 Expedition Limited with the HD tow package. It was standard on the Limited and higher trims, and had a four and seven pin trailer connector at the rear, as well as a dash mounted trailer brake controller (and HD radiator and HD battery which would be hard to detect).

You did not list the trim of the 2015 model - that would help.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the exact year, but later models (2012+?, 2015 for sure) with HD towing will have a factory brake controller below the HVAC controls. That's the easiest way to tell. For all models with HD towing there would be a transmission cooler in front of the radiator, which you can easily see though the grille.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2010 through 2017 Limited and above have HD Tow included In model configuration. Optional on XL and XLT configuration.

The 2015 - 2017 Limited included trailer brake controller mounted in the right side of the drivers dash, just left of the center stack.

I believe that vehicles equipped with HD tow include both the 4 pin flat and 7 pin round connectors.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65