Disconnecting the A4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my 1st post on this forum, I have recently aquired a 99 expy awd 5.4 trans code e. I tried disconnecting fuse 104, and it disengaged the transfer case, but it also killed my radio. Is there a cable going to the transfer case that I can disconnect without causing a problem? Thanks in advance!

Sounds like someone tapped onto the circuit?! Should not loose power to the stereo.

Anyways you can cut the brown wire and put a switch on it or connector to plug and unplug as you see fit. Do a search on the brown wire mod..

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you remove the radio trim and look up above the radio by the left vent there is a connector with 5 large wires plugged into the a4wd relay. if you jam your hand in there you can disconnect the relay thereby stopping the a4wd. the downside is that you can no longer shift on the fly to 4wd and the a4wd lt will probably flash.

10"wheel

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my 1st post on this forum, I have recently aquired a 99 expy awd 5.4 trans code e. I tried disconnecting fuse 104, and it disengaged the transfer case, but it also killed my radio. Is there a cable going to the transfer case that I can disconnect without causing a problem? Thanks in advance!
Hey I'm answering my own question, when I removed the 104 fuse I must have loosened a fuse that controlled the radio, because today I removed the 104 fuse without causing a problem with the radio. I'm much happier with the truck without the transfer case being active, the truck would act like it had torque converter problems while pulling a hill or at low speeds like going over speed bumps, now symptom are gone and I didn't need the awd anyway.
Thanks for the info!