Distance Indication Feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mines under pre-collision- distance indication. Again, this is on my 18 F150. That said, maybe I can look at ForScan to find the values for it.

60D9316D-A8C8-470D-BAAD-C12437DA4A48.jpeg

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's the arrows on the steering wheel.

All the way up is max distance, all the way down will turn it off.

Thanks! I’ll check it out tomorrow. As it’s not a menu option anywhere, that may just be the ticket. I wouldn’t have thought to push the adaptive cruise following distance buttons with the adaptive cruise off. Although the + and - button near the shifter turn the transmission display on and off, so it certainly makes sense.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Thanks! I’ll check it out tomorrow. As it’s not a menu option anywhere, that may just be the ticket. I wouldn’t have thought to push the adaptive cruise following distance buttons with the adaptive cruise off. Although the + and - button near the shifter turn the transmission display on and off, so it certainly makes sense.

I'll pass the thanks on to my wife. It's her seemingly never-ending grocery store parades that leaves me fiddling with controls and such while waiting in the parking lot.

She was all excited the first time she saw the red hud lights.... I explained those are built in female driver alarms for the people in front of them.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mines under pre-collision- distance indication. Again, this is on my 18 F150. That said, maybe I can look at ForScan to find the values for it.

View attachment 27394

Well shucks. Yeah, that’s what the manual says is supposed to be there, but as you can see in the shot of my dash above (post #29, above) it’s just not there. Very strange.

And it ****** me off. Not because I need a little colored screen to tell me I’m following too close, but that there is something I paid for but didn’t get! Oh well.

OP
OP
J

jgudnason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey everyone.. Just so we are all clear, most posts i have made anywhere regarding this feature start getting confused, like this thread.

I've explained what I'm looking for in a couple different posts, but most people seem to be confusing this with the collision avoidance system. So Trying to compile everything I can find around this particular feature, despite the fact it doesn't seem to be enabled on my vehicle currently.

First, the three similar systems are:
  1. Adaptive Cruise Control
  2. Collision avoidance system
  3. Distance Alert System
Adaptive cruise I think everyone is familiar with, so wont go into great detail, expect the fact it uses front radar to sense distance, and display that following distance in the console. Adjustable with the steering wheel button.
View attachment 23432

Collision avoidance system is what most people above are talking about. This is where the vehicle will basically scream at you that you are about to hit something, flash the HUD red, and big warning in console. Hard to trigger, although the case of someone turning in front of you as you approach their rear end does seem to trigger (at least it did for me). The collision avoidance system also includes the pedestrian detection, and I've never had that successfully trigger.

the Distance Alert system is what i am wondering if anyone has seen working on their vehicles. It is a part of the collision avoidance system. It uses the same part of the console as adaptive cruise, but only works when cruise if OFF (it uses the same radar sensors).
if the following distance gap is 09 -.6 seconds, it displays yellow, and if following distance is < 0.6 seconds, it goes red, and also apparently will flash a few of the red pixels on the HUD (not the entire bar, just like three of em)
View attachment 23433
The menu option to turn this feature on and off is supposed to be under the Pre-Collision menu, but on my vehicle it isn't there.

I've identified the bit in the IPC module which should enable this menu, and on my vehicle, the bit is turned off, Have tried to change, but unfortunately, the 2018 Exped has a new IPC, and currently it cannot be written to by FORScan

here is a Car thread also talking about the feature (Ford Fusion)
http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573&pid=126174#pid126174

and here is the IPC address.
values 8-B have FCW + FDA enabled (Forward Collision Warning, Forward Distance Alert)

View attachment 23434

So with the recent updates to Forscan, i was able to make this change to the IPC, and can confirm it does work as described in the manul.

IMG_20200304_085808.jpg

Johnb21

Reaction score
Gee, I don't have coolant temp in my '18 Expy Lmtd., just the gauge without an actual temp. Is this a setting somewhere? Thanks.

OP
OP
J

jgudnason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gee, I don't have coolant temp in my '18 Expy Lmtd., just the gauge without an actual temp. Is this a setting somewhere? Thanks.

That's also an IPC setting:
upload_2020-3-5_9-1-4.png

also another one if you are usually travelling with a passenger / cold / remote start. you can heat the passenger seat too:
720-02-02 - 1st digit of second block:
upload_2020-3-5_9-3-16.png